Cordoba nylon string guitars

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Cordoba nylon string guitars

Postby Tom Workman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:44 pm

Good afternoon, all...
It's just a matter of time before I buy my first nylon-string acoustic-electric guitar. I was looking on-line at the Cordoba Fusion line and was wondering if any of you out there own one or have played one. Opinions, anyone? Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Cordoba nylon string guitars

Postby cettyboy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:29 pm

I have one of there low end Flamenco models.Great guitar.
It was $400.00 with the case.
I'm kinda interested in that model too Tom.
From all I've heard, a really nice guitar.
THX,
Mark
cettyboy

Postby Chuck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a 50.00 mail in rebate on most Cordoba guitars for a few weeks. Over and above your "best deal". I have played different versions of the "GK" which I think stands for Gypsy Kings. Pickup and mic combo as I remember. Really nice guitars to my way of thinking. Very light in weight, and touch. thanks Chuck (Cincinnati)- (I haven't posted in a while but have been lurking/circling)
Chuck

Postby alexjones » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:42 pm

My very good friend, who is a tech, works at a used gear music store and they carry the low end cordoba nylon string guitars. He absolutely hates them. Honestly, he has a whole pile of them in his basement that he needs to fix because the bridges just pop off on them. I can't remember what models they were but they were very small guitars - almost parlor sized. I remember them only being about $100, but still, if it were me, I would watch out for the new cordobas.
Alex
alexjones

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 am

I have to say the best classical nylons for your money is the La Patrie. They have a nice neck, low bottom sound, loud, and most that I've played have a nice low action which is hard to find on a classical.
I've played a couple of Cordobas and didn't like them....the actions were too high.
PhilHunt

Postby Larry Marchino » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 pm

I have an Alvarez AC60SC that I bought used and I like a lot. It is a cutaway and has the best electronics that Alvarez puts in their guitars. I don't think they make that exact model any longer, but they make something about the same with a different model number. If I had not come across the Alvarez I would have probably bought a LaPatrie. At the time I was looking at LaPatrie I don't think they made one with a pickup and I would have had to have added a pickup. The Alvarez when new might have been a little more expensive than the LaPatrie, but getting it used the price was right and it already had a pickup that sounded great. You might want to check out Alvarez too.
Larry Marchino

Postby Tom Workman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:31 pm

O.K., guys... thanks for your input. -Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby sammullins » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:08 pm

PhilHunt wrote:I have to say the best classical nylons for your money is the La Patrie. They have a nice neck, low bottom sound, loud, and most that I've played have a nice low action which is hard to find on a classical.
I've played a couple of Cordobas and didn't like them....the actions were too high.

I agree, La Patrie's are GREAT guitars for the money. I had a La Patrie Etude for a quite a while that was an amazing guitar considering i got it used for $200 with a really nice hardshell case. I'd give anything if i still had it now
sammullins

Postby Mike Detlefsen » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:15 pm

I've owned a Cordoba back around 2002 or so. It was a nice-sounding flamenco model. I had to return it after a month or so because the woods triggered my allergies big time. The "regular" Cordobas are much too boomy-sounding for my taste. I've recently played some newer Cordobas, and I'm still not fond of the sound. Several months ago I bought a La Patrie Concert model which is OK, even though the volume of the bass is a little weak, the over-all sound is OK for the price range. It doesn't come close to my Francisco Navarro Garcia Concert model, but the La Patrie cost only one-fifth as much as the Garcia.

So I'd recommend the a Patrie acoustic-electric. I might mention that the La Patrie has a slight radius to the fretboard, which makes it easier to play (to me) than many of the other spanish guitars in its price range, which have flat fingerboards.

Mike
Mike Detlefsen

Postby George Babbitt » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 am

I have the Fusion model that I traded for with a large Takamine steel string. The Fusion was about $700 plus or minus change. I loved this guitar the minute I pulled it of the wall and began playing it. It is light and compact so I can sit in my lazy boy and play it. The neck size is 1 7/8 at the nut which is great for fingerpicking, even classical, which for me was always a bit large and way too fat. It's really easy on the fingers, especially the right hand, which on the steel string Takamine was beginning to hurt at my fingertips. I also like the fact that it is relatively inexpensive so I don't worry about theft or damage so much. Plugged into a tiny battery powered Roland cube amp, I get plenty of sound for my 5 membered vocal choir. I noticed that Edgar Cruz uses Cordoba guitars. My friend Tom recently purchased one with a slightly larger neck and it sounds as great or greater than mine. They come with a really nice gig bag as well. My fingerpicking friend Ken has a larger Taylor nylon string guitar which has a slightly greater sound than my Fusion, but he spent a few thousand for it. With an amp it's hard, at least for me, to tell much difference. Unplugged, the Taylor wins.

George
George Babbitt

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment