Gretsch '59 Supertron adjustment

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gretsch '59 Supertron adjustment

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 am

I have been able to tilt the Supertron neck pickup in my 6122-59 Gretsch CG in order to better balance the bass to treble string sound. Paul Yandell had suggested this technique. I removed a shim on the bass string side and left the treble side shim in place.

Interesting that when I removed the pickup the Gretsch model & SN label could be seen attached to the inside back of the guitar. I also noticed that the pickup mount was attached to the top and back much like a sound post (not sure if that was it's purpose). The pickguard neck screw has to be removed and the pickguard rotated for access to the bezel screws. The two long pickup wood screws have to be removed to completely in order to remove the pickup. The shim is lightly glued in place and to remove it I used an Xacto knife to loosen then pluck it out. The shim is very thin which, when removed, drops the bass side of the PU enough to allow the treble side to be a bit more dominate. See the photos for an illustration of the process. Be careful to not over-tighten the bezel screws otherwise it might crack as I have seen on some '60s CG's.

Supertron pickup remove bass side shim.jpg
Removing shim

http://s205.photobucket.com/user/Slowpi ... %206122-59
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Re: Gretsch '59 Supertron adjustment

Postby Tom Workman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 pm

I've noticed that my 2006 Nashville Classic seems a little "bass-heavy" on the neck pick-up and I was wondering if any of you other N.C. or C.G. owners have done this as well? Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Gretsch '59 Supertron adjustment

Postby Terry Tolley » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:52 pm

I often run my guitar through an Aphex exciter - one like Thom Bresh uses, and my bass sounds good to those I asked at the gig I go to all the time. Even when I do NOT use the exciter, I've been told that that guitar sounds great. In fact, it is the bass sound they remark about since most flat-top guitars and strats they use don't have much bass. My NC is a 2004 model. The only mod I've done to mine is to put one of the Sta-Tuned devices on my Bigsby. It makes strings super easy to change and using my Bigsby does not pull the strings out of tune even slightly! I tune once at the beginning of the gig and I am done tuning for the night! In tune....great tone.....my perfect guitar. Now...if I could only play as good as the guitar looks and works!
Terry Tolley

Return to Guitars and Equipment