Eminence Commonwealth 15 speaker

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Eminence Commonwealth 15 speaker

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Has anyone here had any experience with the Eminence Patriot Commonwealth 15" speaker. Eminence tech states it is as close to the JBL D-130 as any others they make. It even has the aluminum dust cover. I would especially like to hear from someone who has used or heard this speaker driven with a tube amp.

Thanks - Ronnie Evans
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Re: Eminence Commonwealth 15 speaker

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Here is a photo of the back side label and frame.
Attachments
Eminence Patriot Commonwealth -15 photo.jpg
Eminence Patriot Commonwealth -15 photo.jpg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 10388 times
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Brian Ingram » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:59 pm

I haven't used it, but I noticed they seem to sell for $179 new.

I bought an early 60's D-130 with original cone in flawless condition for about $150 plus shipping off ebay. Now maybe I'm the exception to the rule there, but I'd just as soon buy the original item if cost is a near-toss-up.
Brian Ingram

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Brian,
You may be the exception, for I've been looking for awhile and everything I find needs or has already been re-coned. I would gladly go $150+ for a clean one in original condition. If I could find one from a Fender Dual Showman would be nice since they are clean and have been protected better over the years than open back amp use. I understand that Fender also used D-140, which is a bass speaker, in some of those. If you know of a D-130 send me an email.
Thanks for comment.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby rgervais » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi Ronnie,

I bought a used Commonwealth 15 last summer for $100. It is heavy, 22lbs, if I recall correctly. I have used it with an Allen Sweet Spot amp--basically a Princeton clone--as an extension speaker. It sounds basically fine to me, but then I have not played through a D-130 for years, so I can't compare it directly. It does have a nice high end, not muffled sounding. I have also compared it against a JBL MI-15 (7lbs) that I put in a custom built cabinet for a Fender Super Champ XD, pictures of which I sent out to the CB last summer. To my ear, they sound about the same, but my back likes the JBL better. There is a tone guide on the Eminence site that might be useful. There is also a you tube of a fellow playing steel guitar through a Commonwealth. Hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes,

Roger
rgervais

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Roger,
I appreciate the input about your experience with the Commonwealth speaker and the heads up about the YouTube video. I'll check it out. The Commonwealth 15 weighs about the same or less than a JBL K130. Whatever I decide to get I plan to install it in an old Standel Studio amp cabinet that is set up for two 12's, but I made a baffle that fits on the back side for a single 15 to use as an extension speaker with my '66 Fender Pro Reverb amp. The Commonwealth 4 ohm would match my '66 Fender that has a 4 ohm output. I have one located down state from me that has never been out of the Eminence shipping box at $20 less than street price plus free shipping.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby rgervais » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:38 am

Good luck with this project, Ronnie. Back in the 80's my friend had a blackface Super Reverb that somewhere along the line had been fitted with a D-130. It sounded great. I imagine the results would be similar with the Commonwealth 15 and your Pro Reverb. Let us know how it turns out.

Roger
rgervais

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:54 am

Roger,
Right now I have it loaded with two JBL K-120 8 ohm speakers and the amp sounds the best it ever has and I have had it since 1966. It is a big load to move, but as of now it is parked in my sound proof studio where I can go in and plug in my Gretsch CGP and play as loud as I want and those JBL's are loud for sure. Playing Chet style and Duane Eddy twang sounds amazing. If I take to a performance I will have to get a 4 wheel dolly plus use my collapsible hand truck.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby guitarchuck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 am

Ronnie, I use a JBL D-130 that I had Weber recone. It's in my 25L15 clone that I built. Weber re-cones them with a reproduction of the orginal cone and they did a great job. You have to watch on some that have been re-coned already because people sometimes use the wrong type cone. I personally wish I would have had mine re-coned with a paper dust cap instead of the aluminum cap. The aluminum puts off too many highs. When Chet had his re-coned he had his replaced with a paper cap for the same reason. Richard Hudson has the paper dust cap. The highs on my amp get a little harsh. Someday I may have that dust cap replaced with a paper cap. I really like the looks of the aluminum cap, but sound is more important.
guitarchuck

Return to Guitars and Equipment