Incorporating Chet's style into other musical genre...

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Incorporating Chet's style into other musical genre...

Postby ajbremer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I get weird sometimes and want to dive into learning a jazz book or another book on music theory or something along those lines but what it does is take me away from the time I need to actually work on Chet tunes. For me, if I just stick with trying to play good Chet tunes, practice many hours a week, then that is the best way to get better at playing the guitar - that's what I think.

I play on the worship team at my church and getting some nice sounding substitution chords and styles into some of the contemporary christian songs sounds pretty good and has its advantages.

I've been working on "The Bells of Saint Mary's" for weeks now and I've already incorporated some styles just from that one song into worship songs at church. "The Bells." starts out with a lot of double harmony notes, then goes into those harmonics. From there the tune breaks into fast alternating m.i.p.i.m.i.p.i... picking, which I've never gotten down before. Then there's a bridge of 4 chords right before the alternating fast thumb kicks in.

I've seen myself get much better at those harmonics and the m.i.p.i. alternations in just days and it's exciting! Just from practicing "The Bells." I've incorporated what I've learned into those church songs. How cool is that?!
ajbremer

Re: Incorporating Chet's style into other musical genre...

Postby albertgen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I think diving into those other areas will ultimantly help in the Atkins style, Chet said learn everything you can about guitar, know your fretboard backwards and forwards. Al
albertgen

Postby ajbremer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Very true but I just have to learn not to get too caught up in it all and then leave no time to learn Chet tunes.
ajbremer

Postby albertgen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Well one way is to learn all the arpeggios for every chord instead of scales. Al
albertgen

Return to Guitars and Equipment