Bigsby advice

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Bigsby advice

Postby AngusH » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm after some advice from the wise folks on the Chetboard...

I have a Gretsch G5122 identical to the one pictured, and I'm considering replacing the standard Bigsby arm with a wire arm.

Can anyone tell me if I can simply swap one arm for the other, and if that's a straightforward operation - or do I need to replace the whole Bigsby assembly? I'm also assuming it can't be done without de-stringing the guitar....

Thanks as ever,

Angus
Attachments
Gretsch 5122.jpg
AngusH

Re: Bigsby advice

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Angus.......You will need both the wire arm and a bracket that replaces the flat arm and bracket you have now. Simply remove the strings and there is a set screw that you need an allen wrench to remove. Slide the new bracket on and re-tighten the the allen screw.
Roger Pratt

Postby Norm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Easier to do with no strings on the guitar

Just tape the bridge base to the top and you'll be fine.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby jdrpicker22 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Ok although it may not be that simple, heres what i had to do when i put a bigsby B70 on my Samick 335 copy i also wanted a wire arm so i bought one with the movable bracket, when i got it the hole in the wire arm bracket was smaller than the string bar which the bracket slides on to, so what i did was, because the arm wouldnt fit on the old bracket for the paddle arm (because the little knob that stops the arm was in the way) i had to grind the knob off so the original bracket was flat and the wire arm bracket fit. BUT listen you may also it the wire arm bracket hole it too small use a drill bit and drill the whole out larger on the wire bracket then wa-la it fits! i hope i didn tconfuse you with my comment hope all goes well. I love my wire arm btw!
jdrpicker22

Postby AngusH » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks all for the info and advice - I think the wire arm I have in mind comes with a bracket attached, but it never occurred to me that the hole might be the wrong size for the string bar....

I'll let you know how I get on....

Thanks again,

Angus
AngusH

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:05 pm

I always thought Paul Yandell had a great idea for Bigsby's.

He drill out the little rods that the ball ends of the strings hook to and made holes for the strings to
go through. Made it much easier to change strings on a Bigsby.

Wish I had one.
Eddie Estes

Postby JeffS » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 am

If your Bigsby has "Licensed by Bigsby" on it, it has metric parts. A stationary bracket or a swivel bracket for a Chet style arm won't fit.

I had an Electromatic model that is similar in appearance to a 6120, and I had to change the whole tailpiece. My American-made parts wouldn't interchange.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Stovall
JeffS

Return to Guitars and Equipment