Super Chet!

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Super Chet!

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm

I agree with David

The single cutaway walnut Gentleman with the understated aluminium Bigsby (as opposed to a gold plated one) had an unmatched elegance and beauty unmatched to this day
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 pm

SuperChets were a real crap shoot. Some buyers were lucky enough to get a good one, and some got smacked in the face when the neck joint let loose upon opening the case. They'd also had problems where excess glue from the mortise & tenon joint worked it's was into the geared truss-rod key-wind unit, thus eliminating any adjustment of the truss-rod. Don't get me wrong, if someone is willing to buck up to have one BULLETPROOFED, they're really nice instruments.

I've bought a few DIRT CHEAP over the years, as the guys who'd owned 'em wouldn't drop a dime on 'em to professionally set 'em up correctly . . .
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:19 pm

The SuperChet and associated stories are wonderful. We've got a few up here in the Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club: JD Norman - (2) Terry Efaw - (1) the first prototype Charlie Berwinkle - (1) with Octabass strings on it.

JD was in love with his his first SC and used it as his "playing" guitar, but was getting nervous about "taking it out." Sooo, we stopped by Don Dean's house out in Louisville on our way out to Muhlenberg County, KY one time and bought his second one. (Don had some big bodied beauties!) She was a red beauty, but as some of the guys mentioned here - she didn't have a Bigsby. Sooo, he bought a brass one mail order. We, then, took a trip down to Cinci (from Columbus) to buy some brass hardware from the late Duke Kramer, the ex-executive of the Gretsch factory (I guess down in or near Cinci) who had a huge parts inventory in his house he bought (I hope) from the factory when he left. JD wasn't the kind to mess around when he wanted the "best" to work on his guitars - soooo, all the way out to Indiana he drove to have Bob Foster put the Bigsby on and finish setting up the SC. Crazy things us ol' pickers will do for our guitars.

Terry Efaw won his prototype SC that Clyde Edwards built (I believe in the old Baldwin factory.) Terry bested the amazing Rick Allred in one of only two "national Chet Atkins" contests waaaay back in the early 70s and Chet personally presented him with the beautiful new model for coming in first place. (Terry was amazed because he knew Rick was a better "note-for-note" Chet player, but because Terry couldn't figure out all of Chet's licks he threw in some of his own. Must be Pat Kirtley was one of the judges - because that it what they must have been looking for - and, awarded Terry the grand prize.) The SC has been going back and forth from his closet to being highlighted on his gigs for years. He presently carries it on every gig he does - and, does it ever sound GOOD!! (You should hear him play Baubles, Bangles, and Beer Barrels on it!) Yea, those pots under the pick guard "still" cause him some problems.

I don't know where or when Charlie Berwinkle bought his SC, however he's set it up with octabass strings - and, can play every tune off that Solo Flights album with it. (So can't Robert Anderson...actually once he starts to play "one" - he can't stop until he's played every tune on the album. (lol) Charlie moves around quite a bit - from Ohio down to Georgia - back to somewhere up near Dover. If somebody has heard from him - I'd like his info... thanks

Palmer

PS JD Norman isn't doing too well after his brain surgery to remove "most" of a malignant tumor and subsequent massive amounts of chemo and can't play his SCs much, anymore. So, I have replaced his NINES on one of them with a set of "manly" (lol) Chrome 11's - and, I play it for him a little bit every time I go visit. It's a smoooooth playing guitar - with the right strangs on it. LOL
Pickin Palmer

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 pm

The Super Chet on that album cover has a different headstock than the production ones I think.
That is the only one I ever saw like that.
Eddie Estes

Postby Paul Rauch » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm

My Super Chet was made with a gold Bigsby with a wire handle that swivels 360 degrees, which accomodates my single string playing. I don't see how anything could be better on any account. Just lucky, I guess.
I'm sorry to hear about JD. I've had chemo thirty years ago and five years ago. He can come through the situation. Best of luck to JD.
Paul Rauch

Postby Gene1000 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 pm

I own two SCs, both in mint condition. One is a 1974, the other is a 1975. One with Bigsby, one without. They are two of the finest guitars I have ever played and I've played hundreds of all types. The "feel" of these is like no other.

If Baldwin ever got a bad reputation, it wasn't because of their Super Chets.
Gene1000

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Gene,

Consider yourself extremely lucky ! ! !

SuperChets are either the BEST of THE BEST, or WORST of THE WORST . . .

I've re-set (re-attached) more necks on SCs than I can remember . . .

Congratulations,
Mike
Mike Nye

Postby Gene1000 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 pm

I own two SCs, both in great shape. One with Bigsby, one without. Absolutely amazing instruments. They have a "feel"like no other guitar I've played and I've played hundreds. One of the bridges is slightly tarnished and I'd like to buy another bridge, provided I can locate one in excellent condition. Or, perhaps buy a new bridge that would have the same hole spacing as the current wood base it sits on.

Anyone know where I could locate a gold plated bridge for a 1974 Super Chet?
Gene1000

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:55 pm

If cost is no object, you might find a new one at Warpdrive Music in Milwaukee. If not, completely disassemble it and have the metal parts re-plated in 24K Gold if the wood base is OK . . .
Mike Nye

Postby Gene1000 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you for your reply. I've emailed them to see if they can help. Apparently they are now called "Cream City Music".
Gene1000

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment