THe Legendary '59

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

THe Legendary '59

Postby jdrpicker22 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:53 pm

So i know chet used his '59 CG for over 30 years and as he said in mamg he fiddled with the wiring over the years too adding a phaser and removing the tone switch but what was the switch for on the lower bout where the master volume usually is? He had the switch ther in the 60s when he played on the Johnny Cash show and when he recorded the album with the Boston pops. Anybody know?
jdrpicker22

Re: THe Legendary '59

Postby bill park » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 pm

jdrpicker22 wrote:So i know chet used his '59 CG for over 30 years

jdr - Chet used his "Legendary '59" on and off for about 20 years, from about '59 to '79. After that and until his death in 2001, he played and endorsed Gibson guitars exclusively - primarily the Gibson Country Gentleman and the CE/CEC/Studio. Not sure what the switch did on the '59 in the master volume location, but someone here will know...!
bill park

Postby Norm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Probably the selector switch

What is not known is specifically what was going on with the other two.

Back in the day I wondered about it and decided he must have had isolated tone switches for each pickup. I managed to get this working on a tennesseean I owned at the time and showed to him. He said he had done a similar thing but I forgot most of the brief talk we had about them. Fan-nerves...

Paul never thought to ask Chet about it and as I was working on my book someone else said it was a setup similar to what I described.

You have to remember...Ray Butts was very close to Chet. They could have done all sorts of things with those switches
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby jdrpicker22 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 pm

bill park wrote:
jdrpicker22 wrote:So i know chet used his '59 CG for over 30 years

jdr - Chet used his "Legendary '59" on and off for about 20 years, from about '59 to '79. After that and until his death in 2001, he played and endorsed Gibson guitars exclusively - primarily the Gibson Country Gentleman and the CE/CEC/Studio. Not sure what the switch did on the '59 in the master volume location, but someone here will know...!

Yeah i knew he went to Gibson in the early 1980's, just guesstimated for the time. :? :oops: That was a real guitar!

www.premierguitar.com - 465 × 640 -
jdrpicker22

Return to Guitars and Equipment