Gibson CE separate volume controls

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gibson CE separate volume controls

Postby Augie Peters » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:27 am

I currently own a 2001Gibson Chet Atkins CEC nylon string guitar.I noticed a 2005 CE model for sale on ebay.I'm thinking of switching to the narrower 1 3/4" nut/neck.I noticed in the pics that the rear cover is under the bridge and has an easy access battery.Different location then my CEC.My question is does the 2005 model still have the separate volume controls for each string?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330870780665?ss ... 1436.l2649

Thanks,Augie
Augie Peters

Re: Gibson CE separate volume controls

Postby David Elliott » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am

Augie,

Not much difference from what you said really, but I believe the actual neck width of the CE model is 1-13/16", as opposed to 1-3/4".

Being a Gibson, it should have the individual volume adjustments for each string, as I think the only exception to that were the Epiphone models, (which were basically the same guitar). You might want to just ask the owner however.

One other thing however...the guitar shown on eBay, has the rosette insert "turned" at a 90° angle for some reason, from the way it left the factory. This may not mean anything, as it's not a hollow body guitar anyhow, but it does indicate some "tinkering" with the instrument.

Nice looking guitar!

David
David Elliott

Postby RonBloor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi Augie.. I have an older CE and David is correct about the neck width. It is slightly wider than 1 3/4 inch. As for the PUs in them. I could be wrong, but I believe they did put out some CEs that did NOT have the individual string volume adjustments. Not the Epiphone models, but the Gibson models. As David said, best have the seller pull the cover and check that you have individual pots for the strings. I'm sure you know this anyway, since you have a CEC.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Skip » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 am

I keep hearing the Epiphone is as good as the Gibson CEC's. I have had both at the same time and they are no way alike. The Epiphone only looks like the Gibson but that's all. The Gibson sound is 100 times better. Like that old saying "You only get what You pay for" :o .
Skip

Return to Guitars and Equipment