Chet and Short Scale Guitars

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Chet and Short Scale Guitars

Postby Steve Sanders » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks! Norm for your reply and info. So, where did you get your 8K bridge pickup, TV Jones? Seems like I've read somewhere that the 6122-1959's were wired a little differently in that the Supertron neck pickup had no volume control and the master volume was on the lower bout as in most Gretsch guitars. I doubt that this would have any effect on the overall tone. Is the 8K bridge pickup combined with the neck position Supertron the "magic" of a '59? I just replaced my Filtertron neck pickup on my old '66 Nashville 6120 and it made quiet a difference but still not quite there yet. Do you think an 8K in the bridge position will get me a little closer to the tone of a '59? Thanks, Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:19 pm

I usually turn down the volume of the bridge pickup a little to get a tone I like, and I know others do too. You need to have a top quality amp, however, to have full use of these absolutely top notch guitars. I feel that my Randall RG75 with a 12 in Jensen speaker, replacing the original Celestion, leaves something to be desired, and would like to own a better one with a 15 in speaker. But am I good enough to justify to pay good money for it? That´s the question.
Vidar Lund

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm

So, where did you get your 8K bridge pickup, TV Jones?

Yes

Seems like I've read somewhere that the 6122-1959's were wired a little differently in that the Supertron neck pickup had no volume control and the master volume was on the lower bout as in most Gretsch guitars.
That's how it works but I'm sure it's easy to adapt to.

Is the 8K bridge pickup combined with the neck position Supertron the "magic" of a '59?
Yes. As Vidar points out (and Paul reccomended) it's usual to back off on the bridge pickup a little.

I just replaced my Filtertron neck pickup on my old '66 Nashville 6120 and it made quiet a difference but still not quite there yet. Do you think an 8K in the bridge position will get me a little closer to the tone of a '59?

I've never played a '59. All I know is adding the 8K pickup had a wonderful affect on my tone when blended with the fingerboard pickup.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 pm

I believe this is the pickup although I wouldn't order it in the form illustrated. The picture shows one made to drop in a Gibson Humbucking cavity

http://tvjones.com/pickups/filtertron-s ... ssic-plus/

It's a simple matter to make sure Tom knows what guitar it is to go into to get the right mount when ordering
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 pm

The pickup Norm pointed to is the Filtertron from TV Jones, TVtron, adapted to fit into a Humbucker cavity, like the ones I installed in my Ibanez AFS 75 I wrote about some time ago. This is the traditional version TV Classic:

http://tvjones.com/pickups/filtertron-style/tv-classic/
Vidar Lund

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm

It's a little confusing due to TV's illustrating choices...

The picture Vidar links to is the "Classic" your standard 4K Filter Tron

The one I linked is the Classic Plus and as the description tells, it is the Filter Tron wound for 7. something K. It is available in the stadard looking Filter Tron casing. Mine looks just like my original bridge pickup...just like a standard Filter Tron. For some reason, Tom posted it with the Humbucking cavity version

Jones offers all his pickups in three or four casings depending on what kind of guitar you want to put it into. That's why, when you order it, to be sure to tell him the model of the guitar you intend to put it in.

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 am

Like Norm says, there are different versions of the same pickup. It´s a good idea to contact TVJ in advance to get the right one for your guitar. I´ve always had quick respons and good advice when I have contacted them.
Vidar Lund

Postby albertgen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Chet's D'Angelico is a 25 1/2 scale. About the time he went to Gretsch there was talk amongs the Super Pickers A team about scale length, Billy Byrd and Hank Garland got the 23 1/2 scale going. Chet went with 24 1/2 with Gretsch but later decided that the 25 1/2 play in tune better and are easier to finger, but it was up and down his whole career. The Super Chet started with 25 1/2 then went to 24 1/2 then again back to 25 1/2. Same way with the Country Gentleman. I think my Gibson Classical is 26. My DelVecchio is a very short scale but most I've seen are long scales. I owned a 58 reissue for a spell and later got the 59. The 58 was a great guitar but the neck was narrower and the body full depth and too heavy. I like the thinner 59, which is also a great guitar. I really like the Gibson Country Gentleman to mainly because of the very thin body. I like the thinner guitars. Oh I don't know, they are all fun whatever scale or pickups, I think it is in the hands anyway, I remember Chet playing something at the CAAS by himself and captivated the whole audience, after he finished he said he picked up the guitar out at Gibson for 300 bucks! And so on, and so on, as Chet would say! Al
albertgen

Postby MitchC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 pm

I have a '58 that I've personalized with TV Jones Supertron neck / Classic Plus bridge pickups. Changed the nickel bigsby to gold and added the Chet wire arm. Also added a Tru-Arc brass bridge. It is SWEET ! But it has the narrower fretboard and no zero fret. If it had the 1 3/4" neck width and zero fret, It would probably become my #1, knocking the '59 off it's lofty pedestal.

Here's a pic:
Last edited by MitchC on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchC

Postby Steve Sanders » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Hey Mitch, I've never played a '58 or '59 but I like the "looks" of the '58 better. Does your '58 have the same tonal qualities as the '59 (Country Gentleman or Nashville Classic)? I rely on you and other Chetboarders for your first hand knowledge and expertise and having the ability to A / B these two fine Gretsch guitars. I value your opinion. Oh, BTW, I swapped out the JBL D130 for a JBL 130A paper dust cap and I'm ridin' high now!! Made quite a difference!! Now, I just gotta get my geetar situation lined up. My wife, my biggest fan (I think) is really getting into this stuff...she's always telling me to "take that guitar somewhere else and play it"!! Been sleepin' with one eye open!! Steve
Steve Sanders

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment