Chet and Short Scale Guitars

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Chet and Short Scale Guitars

Postby MitchC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Steve. Congrats on the paper dust cap !

To me, all the factors became alligned with the total design elements of the '59. Body depth, lower bout, neck width, scale length, pickup choices etc.

SO, no, the '58 does not sound or feel like the '59. I've made it as close as possible with the pickup change and cosmetic stuff. It's VERY close in sound, but the thinner body depth of the '59 makes for a 'tighter - more focused' sound than the deeper bodied '58. I prefer the tone circuit on the '59 as well... no mud switch, 1 vol for the bridge pup and master tone pot. That, the zero fret, wide spacing still make it the #1. I'd LOVE this exact '59 feature guitar but in a SHORT scale. That's my dream guitar.
MitchC

Postby Steve Sanders » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Thanks Mitch, I really appreciate all your help and knowledge! Maybe we should start a letter drive to dear ol' Joe Carducci and with great respect and admiration for all of his hard work on the Nashville Classic, the CGP, and the new Country Gentleman, suggest a few revisions as you and other fellow Chetboarders have alluded to. Namely a Gretsch short scale 6122-1959 with a zero fret in the old traditional walnut brown finish and any other condiments folks feel would make yet another great Gretsch guitar. I presume we are all mighty thankful to Paul Yandell for all his hard work and dedication in getting Gretsch to issue two of their best guitars to date. Maybe there will be another great one forth coming in the not to distant future. One thing I know for sure....you cain't catch that big ol' bass unless you put your line in the water! Thanks, Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

This is the 8 kOhm bridge pickup Norm mentioned in a previous post, like the one on the 6122-1959 Nashville Classic/Country Gentleman.

http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/gre ... s-bridge-0
Vidar Lund

Postby Norm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Maybe not.

They don't specify the K on that thing. Gretsch used alnico magnets until about 1964 when they went to ceramic. That may be what these guys are referring to.

Ask them before buying
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby MitchC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:24 pm

$199 ? Yikes.

This is what is in the Gretsch 6122-1959 (except in a blacktop casing):

http://store.nexternal.com/tvjones/tv-c ... s-p38.aspx

When I've ordered mine, I just specified that I wanted them in the blacktop case. (except the one I put in the '58)

Same set as the '59 in my 1993 Country Classic
MitchC

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Prices vary a lot. Here are some other options, not on the black top though.

http://www.darrenriley.com/Gretschparts.htm
Vidar Lund

Postby albertgen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I put the big Kidney tuners on my NC, I never liked the stairstep grovers, I always had trouble with the screws coming loose, plus they are uncomfortable to the touch. Al
albertgen

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment