Mr Shazzar's sound

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Mr Shazzar's sound

Postby Augie Peters » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:21 pm

I’m sure you all are familiar with this talented young man.I think we all can think back and see ourselves sitting on the edge of our bed playing with the same passion at his age.
He not only has the feel he has the sound.My question is about the pickups on his guitar.
The guitar is a Chinese copy sold on ebay.As far as I can tell the pickups are Artec brand also available on ebay fairly cheap.Has anyone else tried either the guitar or the pickups before? They sound like they might be worth experimenting with.

Mr Shazzar has 18 videos.I’ve watched them all.He’s got a great feel for the music. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OekLGynBMEc
Augie
Augie Peters

Re: Mr Shazzar's sound

Postby Norm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:01 pm

I think it's stock with no special additives

It's just that the kid has a nice touch
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Tom Keller » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi Norm, I have been listening to James since he introduced himself on the board sometime back. He gets a better tone and sounds more like Chet than I could with your guitar or Chets. It just ain't fair I tell ye.

Tom
Tom Keller

Postby David Elliott » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Augie Peters wrote:I’m sure you all are familiar with this talented young man.I think we all can think back and see ourselves sitting on the edge of our bed playing with the same passion at his age.
Mr Shazzar has 18 videos.I’ve watched them all.He’s got a great feel for the music. :D

Augie

This kid is quite good! Here's a short medley by him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfbLuU1E ... creen&NR=1

David
David Elliott

Postby LMark » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 pm

He really has the touch, doesn't he? LMark
LMark

Postby jularbo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 am

Fabulous kid! What an artist!
I have an exact same guitar, Chinese Gretsch copy. I don't like it at all, but the pickups are fantastic! They have a sweet mellow, yet crispy sound that I like. I've now disassembled the guitar and my intention is to try the pickups in an other guitar.
I don't know what brand they are though, but it doesn't matter to me. It's the sound I like.
Thomas
jularbo

Postby Augie Peters » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi Jularbo,Thanks for your reply.As I said before I think that the pickups are distributed thru "Artec"I've put the link below.If you could let me know it would be very helpful.Also, as long as the guitar is dissambelled could you check the number on the tone cap.Knowing that value,especially if it's something out of the ordinary range.
About 18 yrs ago I bought a Gibson country Gent at a guitar show that had to be picked out of the dumpster at the factory.It has the balsa wood center block.The guitar had been band sawn in half across the center of the body and very poorly glued back together.The headstock had had been cut off and replaced.I strung it up and it plays fine.I stripped the finish and it's been sitting in a case waiting for me to make a decision............I Think the time has come.I going to try a set of these pickups in it just because I'm retired and the snow here in the UP of Michigan is taking it's toll.
Thanks in advance for the info.............Augie
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Artec-Mini-Filt ... 2327900638
Augie Peters

Postby George Beasley » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 am

Augie,

My aunt and uncle live in a neighborhood next to Gibson (separated by Mill Creek). As a kid, my cousin used to see all kinds of Gibson's that had been cut in half with a bandsaw. He would snatch them, and sell them. You used to see a lot of clocks at the flea market made with old thrown away Gibsons. A friend of mine has a Les Paul that he glued back together, and had refinished. Turned out to be a great playing guitar!
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby jularbo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 am

Augie,
Sorry for the late answer. Been away gigging...
I've checked the disassembled guitar hardware, but there are absolutely no brand indicators anywhere. No numbers, no letters, nothing. Except from a sign on the bridge pu bottom. It looks like a capitol T with an extra line strike thru. Don't know what this means, maybe a chinese sign. Sorry for not being of any advice. I'm pretty convinced these pickups are chinese copys as well. But they sound great for sure. I'm going to put them in a homemade Tele look alike just for fun.

Thomas
jularbo

Postby Augie Peters » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Thomas, Thanksfor the reply.I ordered the pickups.I'll start with some standard caps and change them if needed.I know that the sound has a lot of factors other then the electronics.It's going to be fun experimenting.The guitar has to be completely refretted and refinished.It's going to take a while.Wish me luck...... :)
Augie
Augie Peters

Return to Guitars and Equipment