Chets Gibson pickups

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Chets Gibson pickups

Postby rkk2786 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:07 am

No harm Bob! I'm very glad to know the history of the guitar in the clip. Send me a off line message, and we'll talk with you about the other CG when you get the chance.

Best regards,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby Eddie Estes » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am

Bob
I think you sent me some pictures of that guitar a few years back.
If I can find them, want me to post a few?

Eddie
Eddie Estes

Postby Norm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 pm

I often wonder if those high level guitarists had had any idea their playing fans would be so obsessed with detail would they have kept instrument logs, like ASCAP song logs as to what models and detailed notes of modifications.

Probably not. At Chet's level, like Paul said once, Chet no longer had to buy guitars and by Chet's own admission he gave instruments away just to keep from getting flooded with them. It is hard to imagine being in such a position that guitars that retail for 2K plus can amount to irritating clutter to be just given away.

Between Chet and Paul's personal tinkering abilities and the eager-to-please guitar manufacturers willing to make experimental versions it would be impossible at this time to know exactly what went on at a given time on a given guitar. Both men were curious...looking for The Sound they heard in thier heads. "What if we..." became "Let's try it this way..." rather quickly I think. And they had the parts and expertise to do just about anything right on their own benches

To Chet or Paul, swapping out a pickup was No Big Deal and could be done by any knowlegeable hand with a soldering iron in about fifteen minutes. It probably took longer to restring the guitar after swapping out a pickup than actually doing the swap. When Chet died Leona apparently gave Paul Chet's stock of loose pickups and Paul said there were a lot of them and there were all kinds. And Chet had a coilwinder for making custom experimental pickups.

Bob certainly has an interesting instrument with a very convincing sounding provenance. Micah's viewpoint is unique also.

I'm a stick in the mud. I don't think any of the Gibson CG's came anywhere near the Gretsch '59 for tone, even in Chet's hands, so I'm going back to my morning coffee and later I'll work on a new arrangement for a recording I'd like to make while I still can.

I'll let you guys sort all this out. :D
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby bill park » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am

Norm wrote:I don't think any of the Gibson CG's came anywhere near the Gretsch '59 for tone, even in Chet's hands

Norm, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Chet had magnificent tone with his Gibson Country Gentleman. It just wasn't Gretsch tone. I don't think one is better than the other. They are different, and they are both outstanding, especially in Chet's hands...!
Thanks, Bill
bill park

Postby Norm » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:10 pm

You have a point...it is a matter of taste and opinion...

To my ear, even in Chet's hands, the Gibson CG overall tone is thinner but that's just me.

The only good guitar I was ever able to afford has been Gretsch. I've had the same made in '61 CG since the mid seventies so I'm kinda infused with Gretsch. I never had the luxury of being able to buy and try other companies products. I even had to wait until my current guitar came in used.

My opinion of Chet's guitar tone (as is anyone elses) is not something meant to be cast in stone. Gretsch sounds like Gretsch and Gibson sounds like Gibson.

Chet always got the best out of any guitar he had in his hands.

If I sounded arrogant about the topic I apologize.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment