? about Nashville Classic shape

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

? about Nashville Classic shape

Postby J Ewan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:58 pm

When did they change the body shape ? thanks
J Ewan

Re: ? about Nashville Classic shape

Postby Norm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Early in its production. The first few weren't exactly the same shape as Chet's '59. I have no idea how many models were made that were off a bit .

Here's Paul on it:

"... The first issue models of the Nashville Classics were not the shape of the original ’59 models. Mike Lewis of Gretsch bought a vintage Country Club which has the same body shape as the ’59 Country Gentleman and they redid the body shape to what the old ones were using that as a template...
Paul Yandell_CGP"
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 am

The first 6122-1959 Nashville Classics of early 2003 were based on the pre-FIMC models produced from 1989, when Fred Gretsch III re-started production of Gretsch guitars. They were more or less identical to the Baldwin-era guitars, with squarer shoulders than the good old era Gretsches, the body meeting the fretboard between the 14th and 15th fret. During 2003 the shape of the Nashville Classic body became the traditional 6122 Country Gentleman shape. My NC is produced in July of 2003 and has the correct rounded upper bout shape.
Vidar Lund

Postby bill park » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 am

Here's a superimposed photo that someone (Chuck?) made at the time they re-did the body shape -

Note the deeper cutaway and the rounder shoulders on the new shape.
bill park

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:10 pm

I did save an email:

Here's how to read the serial number according to the folks at Gretsch: Serialization is by total production units per month, not by model. It will have a serial number something like: JT03010500

J = Japan T = Terada (factory name) 03 = 2003 01 = January 0500 = the 500th guitar (all models combined) built that month.

So far I've heard: 600, 603, 607, 608, 611, 618, 624, 626, 630, 631, 633, 637, & 639. All Nov. 2002.

I suspect the first batch of 48 were numbered 600-647.

If I remember right the second batch corrected the body shape.
guitarchuck

Postby David Elliott » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:14 pm

For many years, I have wondered why the serial numbers of guitars (not just Gretsch's) was seemingly such a complicated matter...and what the "big deal" was, about them! It has always seemed that there was no standard "formula" for denoting the location of manufacture, the date of manufacture, the code indicating the year/month of manufacture, etc. because in order to determine these things, one has to do a fair amount of research and investigation. It is almost as though the manufacturer were trying to "hide" (or disguise) these seemingly innocuous facts about the instrument!

What's the "big deal"...does anybody know why this would be such a "problem" for the manufacturer, and/or why they all seem to use a different formula for denoting what would seem to be reasonably straightforward facts about an individual guitar? I mean, if a guitar was built on the 1st of July, in 1991, in Nashville, Tennessee, etc. WHY don't they simply stamp it something simple, like -07-01-1991, Nash- ?? :) As anybody who has ever been to Las Vegas can tell you, there is no theoretical limit to numerical and letter combinations, so it couldn't have anything to do with "running out" of numbers and/or letters! Inquiring minds would like to know! ;)

David
David Elliott

Postby Norm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:24 pm

There's always some "genius" who thinks of a "better way" and changes it.

Gretsch has undergone some ownership changes so theirs is understandable. Their current method has some logic to it as it reflects the times.

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/serial-numbers/
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby David Elliott » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Hey Norm,

Yeah, that makes a little more sense...(sort of)... :)

By the way, did you receive that photo I sent you (the one with the D'Anjelico?)

David
David Elliott

Postby Norm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm

David...
check your PM

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Vidar Lund » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:53 am

The 6122 Country Gentleman has changed its name several time during its life. First of course was the Chet Atkins 6122 Country Gentleman of 1957 until Chet left Gretsch/Baldwin and took the name with him. Then it became the Model 7670, later 7676 Country Squire. Later it became the Southern Belle, produced in Mexico, of which about 100 were produced. When Gretsch came back in 1989 the name became the Country Classic, then the Nashville Classic, and finally again the Country Gentleman. All, except the Nashville Classic and later CG, according to Jay Scott´s book "The Guitars of the Fred Gretsch Company".
Vidar Lund

Return to Guitars and Equipment