Zoom G3/G3X

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Zoom G3/G3X

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:23 pm

I just wanted to see if any of the Chetboarders have any experience with the Zoom G3/G3X? I am thinking very seriously about getting the G3X version. I've had a Digitech RP355 for a while, but I've never been super happy with it. Before that I had a Zoom G2 that I really liked. In the beginning Zoom didn't have a great reputation, but now I believe they are top notch. I'm not a multi-effects guy, but here's what I like about these units: I use delay and reverb. I'm told this G3/G3X unit does delay/echo really well. I also love having a built in tuner, that's really handy. I like having a volume pedal built in too, that's why I want the G3X version. I don't use the volume pedal for effect, just to adjust the volume on the fly. To me this works better than the volume on the guitar, because the guitar volume always cuts the tone too. This unit is able to do tap tempo with the delay. You can also plug in an external footswitch to control the tap tempo. This unit also has a 40 second looper to give you JamMan type effect. The layout looks fairly simple compared to many of the multi-effects units. It's also nice that you can go out of the unit via USB to your computer for recording. It comes with Steinberg Sequel LE recording software. A lot of features for the street price of $199. I would like to hear from anyone here that has experience with this unit.
Here's more info:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3

and

http://www.samsontech.com/zoom/products/guitar-effects/g3x/
guitarchuck

Re: Zoom G3/G3X

Postby guitarchuck » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Okay, I did it. I put my Digitech RP355 up for sale on Ebay and sold it within a couple of days. I went ahead and bought a Zoom G3X. I paid $179.99 for mine delivered. It fills my needs perfect. Right now I'm just using the tape echo and the HD reverb. You can use them just like standard stomp box type effects and up to 6 effects at once if you so desire. (3 show in the displays, if you want to use the other 3 you have to scroll over). I like the small size, the built in tuner and the pedal for volume. It autosaves your last settings unless you set the pedal to manual. It will also store different patches, up to 100 I think. The looper is fun to play with, 40 second loops. I don't use hardly anthing except for delay and reverb, so this is pedal is really great for that. I do want to buy the optional external footswitch so that I can do tap tempo on the delays.
guitarchuck

Postby rhudson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:12 pm

How noisy is the pedal, Chuck?
rhudson

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:14 am

Richard,
It's super quiet. ( I don't like things hissing, that's one big reason that I don't like a lot of solid state amps) There are some of the "high gain" patches in the presets that noisy, I noticed. For our style, the reverbs and delays are very quiet. I've also played around with the phaser and choruses. There's a noise gate available too, but it's not needed for the effects that I use. If a person would use some of the really high gain stuff, the noise gate might be needed.
guitarchuck

Return to Guitars and Equipment