Made in USA, China

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Made in USA, China

Postby Norm » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm sure if they still MADE 6120's and 6122-59's in the "the good ol UUUUUUUUUSA" boardmembers would buy them.

Brooklyn made gretsch guitars are usually sold at greed based prices. Also, some of the stars like Brian and Steve who own the old guitars won't take them on the road to keep them safe from transit damage and theft and use them for recording. Some may not but I think most feel more comfortable taking copies

Give it a rest.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby jay » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Norm...Brian takes his 59 (Steve Miller gave it to him) on the road. I saw him with it 2 years ago in OK City...started bids for it and some guy went to the stage offering him a 20K check. He laughed and said something about starting something he couldn't finish. Had two trashcans on stage, and he grabbed it out of one when he came on.

srgntschultz - I guess you didn't read the article with Brian. Basically it said, it cost a helluva lot of $$$ to get the vintage Gretsch's in the same playing shape, as the new ones come right out of the box. Additionally, Brian plays new Gretsch's when touring...saw him and the BSO and he played quite a few of those evil imports. I'm not sure where you got your information on what he records with...

"A lot of my vintage gear broke down on me while I was using it,” he says. “I played my ’59 Gretsch through the ’62 Bassman on the first song I recorded, but halfway through the song I realized that one of the speakers was blown. Luckily, we miked the speaker that was still good. After that, the Gretsch started to fall apart. First a few frets slid out, and then the Bigsby broke. I guess I play my guitars pretty hard. I just said the hell with it and grabbed my new signature model Gretsch or one of my Gretsch Hot Rod guitars instead and used them for the rest of the record.

“It worked out because it inspired me to try different things. My tone on ‘Far Noir East’ is probably the best guitar tone I’ve ever gotten. I played my signature 6120 through the ’61 Twin and a 1961 Fender Reverb unit. The sound that came out of that rig was just beautiful
.”"

http://www.guitaraficionado.com/from-th ... etzer.html
jay kantor
jay

Postby Norm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 am

SS keeps harping about buying American. I'm all for it but if you like the Gretsch tone and want a well built Gretsch guitar you're either going to have to settle for a Terada or take a chance (and pay usually exorbidant prices) for a Brooklyn guitar.

And as I pointed out before... if you buy from your local merchant (rather than ordering from overseas) you are at least helping a small businessman (WalMart and Guitar Center excepted) keep his doors open for another day.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Eddie Estes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 am

Every now and then we pick up someone who just won't let it drop.
This is one of those times.

Shultz I don't care if you like that I or anyone plays a Gretsch guitar from Japan. If they ever colonize Mars and Fred Gretsch gets them made there as good as the Japan ones are I'll buy one.

Don't really care if you or anyone thinks I suck at playing either. My 9 year old daughter told me I was her favorite guitar player and that means more to me than any snide comment can take away.

I swear some people......
Eddie Estes

Postby John Knowles » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:38 am

I trust Eddie's daughter. She is an up-and-coming musician.

John
John Knowles

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:35 am

Eddie says, "Every now and then we pick up someone who just won't let it drop.
This is one of those times". He´s got it right. My original post was about the problem of fake Gretsch White Falcon guitars made in China, as well as other brands. I feel this thread has gone far off piste and exceeded its usefulness by now.
Vidar Lund

Postby srgntschultz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 pm

I actually have 2 fender amps done by brians amp tech,he told me in person that he has 13 heads and all done by the same guy,so i had him do mine. I have a 62 and 63 fender bassman head and cabinet,and they sound great. They are modded the same exact way as brians including the same exact preamp tubes and power tubes,which you can no longer buy. And i have seen brian 4 times and he did infact play the jap gretsch's but not all night! He played his favorite 59 a lot. And it was the original because i have a friend that got me back stage and did talk with his tech and he said that it was the original 59 and is always out with him. So thats where i got my information and his amp tech is one of the guys that would know and his guitar tech would also know. He also went through my roland 301 space echo the same as brians which he always uses and which he added all this original old equiptment is a pain to keep going but its worth it to brian to get his tone. So thats again where i got me information if you must know.
srgntschultz

Postby BillB » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 am

"He also went through my roland 301 space echo..."

Roland makes some very nice equipment, even if they are a Japanese company. ;)

Bill B.
BillB

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment