Super Champ XD/X2

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Super Champ XD/X2

Postby rgervais » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 pm

After reading Gayle's post a couple of months ago about the Super Champ X2, I went out and bought one. I liked it so much, I found a used XD and had a 15" cabinet build for it by Brian Holt. I put a JBL MI-15 (7 lbs, 150W) in it that I have had in an old extension cabinet since the mid 80's. It sounds great with the NC. The XD is naturally quite bright and the 15" rounds it out nicely, but still retains the tone. The 15" is also quite a bit louder than the original 10", so I think it will be able to keep up with the band--at least in rehearsal. I will try to attach a few photos, but last time I did, they came out upside down. My apologies if that happens here.

Roger
Attachments
Super Champ 15 back.JPG
Super Champ 15 front.JPG
Super Champ original and 15.JPG
rgervais

Re: Super Champ XD/X2

Postby gmoseley » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:15 am

Hello Roger, she's a beauty! It appears Brian Holt did a good job for you. I had mine done in a tweed covering with Fender tilt-back legs, and we put the Jensen 100wt. 15" speaker in the cabinet. I'll bet your big 15" Lansing sounds great....those larger speakers really accentuate the already good tone of the Super Champ XD. I really like mine too, its gets a 'big note' and has plenty of volumn for my needs. I'm happy to learn yours turned out so well.

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby rgervais » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks, Gayle. I agree the tone of this amp is just what I was looking for, and I am glad to have found a good use for the 15" JBL. It is interesting to hear it in this cabinet--very clean, bright and responsive. In the other open-back cabinet I had it in before, it sounded dead and muffled, even when I used it as an external speaker for the XD. It must be the cabinet dimension or the wood Brian used, but it sounds bright and live in this cabinet. You are right about the top notch quality of his work. I had not thought about the tilt back legs, sounds like a good idea. I have been using a compact fold-up amp tilt stand by Ultimate, matches my guitar stand and works well. I will try to attach right-side up photos of the cabinet again.

Roger
Attachments
Super Champ 15 front.JPG
Super Champ 15 back.JPG
rgervais

Postby Steve Sanders » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 am

Hey Roger, that is a real nice looking amp! Bet it sounds as good as it looks too! Now about that Brian Holt amp-cab maker....It would sure be nice if you could post how to get in touch with him so other fellow Chetboarders might get in on his exceptional handy-work. He might even appreciate it too. Course, you might want to check with him first. I have an old Princeton Reverb that I'm wanting to do the same thing you did. I want a cab big enough to hold an extra JBL 15" speaker I've had on hand for awhile. It has a 12" right now but I think the 15" would be great too. It's my "out-of -the-house" amp. Any help would sure be appreciated by me and probably other too! Thanks, Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby rgervais » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Steve Sanders wrote:Hey Roger, that is a real nice looking amp! Bet it sounds as good as it looks too! Now about that Brian Holt amp-cab maker....It would sure be nice if you could post how to get in touch with him so other fellow Chetboarders might get in on his exceptional handy-work. He might even appreciate it too. Course, you might want to check with him first. I have an old Princeton Reverb that I'm wanting to do the same thing you did. I want a cab big enough to hold an extra JBL 15" speaker I've had on hand for awhile. It has a 12" right now but I think the 15" would be great too. It's my "out-of -the-house" amp. Any help would sure be appreciated by me and probably other too! Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

I got the cabinet through ebay. I don't think he would mind me posting the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super-Ch ... AQ:US:1123

From his listing of cabinets, it sounds like he can make almost anything you want. He is also very responsive and prompt to respond to questions.

Good luck!

Roger
rgervais

Return to Guitars and Equipment