How many of the forumites own the reissue 6121-1955 ?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

How many of the forumites own the reissue 6121-1955 ?

Postby Larry Lenhart » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:25 am

As I posted elsewhere on the chetboard, I am looking for a good used reissue 6121-1955. I am just curious how many of you own one of these guitars. I understand there are some mods that should be done to the guitar to improve the intonation, but I am not sure what it is...something to do with getting a tune-o-matic bridge. I am bumbling here, so any advise would be appreciated. I own the HOF guitar and am very happy with it, but would like to add this guitar to my collection as well. Thanks in advance for any and all information.
Larry Lenhart

Re: How many of the forumites own the reissue 6121-1955 ?

Postby Norm » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:44 am

I think they're a short scale so a tun-o-matic might help it but going to a TOM from the standard bar bridge changes the tone on Gretsch guitars quite a bit. Beyond that there's not much modification available save changing out the pickups to something else.

They really weren't a popular guitar. Chet used one on TV a couple times because of his endorsement agreement.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby George Beasley » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 am

I've got a George Harrison model DuoJet, with dynasonic pickup. Other than cosmetics, the G6121 is essentially the same guitar. I really like it. Dynasonic pickups are kinda similar in tone to Gibson p90 pickups. I think they sound good for what I use the guitar for (which is mainly rock and roll). As far as the bridge, I swapped out the stock RBB for a stainless Tru-Arc RBB, and haven't had any noticeable intonation problems.

Lindsey Short plays a 6121 occasionally, and it sounds good for FingerStyle stuff..here are some videos from 3 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUVL8tPHpr0&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fIryZoPqkA&feature=plcp
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby alexjones » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I traded in one of my guitars in and ordered a 6121-1955. They were backordered at the time so I had lots of time to get excited for it to come. Well I received it and it was just awful. There were so many things wrong with it. I could not get it to play right at all - there was always buzz in the neck. I do all my own setups and guitar work and I spent a lot of time to get it right - but I just couldn't. I even took it to another luthier and he was appalled. So long story short - I sent it back - I didn't want anything to do with it. But of course that was just the guitar I had. The 59 reissue or the CGP smokes this guitar! Just my 2 cents... Take care!
Alex
alexjones

Postby George Beasley » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:47 pm

I've got a 6120-CGP, George Harrison DuoJet, and had a 6122-1959 for 6 years , until month ago when I traded it for a Les Paul Standard. I guess they are all special models, and get special attention...as they have all been perfect. I can't comment on regular production models.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:28 am

You may find one here if you scroll down and see what´s on offer:

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8
Vidar Lund

Return to Guitars and Equipment