Baldwin w/Prismatone on eBay

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Baldwin w/Prismatone on eBay

Postby Fred » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:47 pm

Fred

Re: Baldwin w/Prismatone on eBay

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm just wondering who this "Chet Adkins" fellow is who has one of these guitars in the Hall of Fame? Lol

Another thing: I guess those magazine ads from that time period were aimed at the stars, not the public! Lol
guitarchuck

Postby George Beasley » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:57 pm

I think Chet Adkins had hits in the olden days with "Mister Sandpile" and ""Snowboard".
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby AngusH » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:45 am

I was a bit puzzled by the reference to Mr Adkins - and this certainly doesn't look like the Baltwins played by Jerry Reet...

It looks a bit like one of these Harmonys with a Prismatone, but it's certainly not an 801CP:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Custom- ... 6rk%3D2%26

I'm not going to resurrect the vexed debate about what it might be worth - all I can say is that I wouldn't spend $3,000 on it. I've mentioned my little H173 before - $108 with a Prismatone II from Sam Kennedy, and I'll bet it sounds just as sweet as this one.

I'm not a betting man, but I'd be astonished if this attracts any bids, and certainly not at an opening price of $3k.

Angus
AngusH

Postby RandeDager » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:34 am

It most likely won't attract anyone from THIS group but there could be an "uneducated victim" out there with big eyes who may go for it.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Fred » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm

There was a recent posting for a prismatone pickup that sold on eBay recently for $1525, which seems pretty high in and of itself. So 3K as a starting price seems just off the charts for that guitar...but what do i know?
Fred

Postby PhilHunt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 pm

That's the early first body style version baldwin...they had two or possibly three different versions. Notice the white binding. Jerry's florentine was a smaller body style. Jerry use to have this kind of body style version and it somehow landed in Carlton Jones' hands. He later gave it away to some Mexican missionaries......and yes I'm not kidding.....GAVE JERRY'S PERSONALLY OWNED BALDWIN AWAY! He later got an 801CP from George Gruhn and then sold it to me which I currently have. Those older Baldwins had a different battery box as well with a on/off switch on them.
Is it worth $3,000? My answer....NOPE. Maybe $1,000-$2,000 range.

I have a picture of that old Baldwin that Carlton had that looks just like this one. Maybe someone got it back from those Mexican missionaries.
PhilHunt

Postby Hendrik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:21 pm

This is a prototype based on a German guitar, if I'm correct. There were several hundreds, maybe thousands produced. It's called the 800C. You can see Jerry playing the guitar on the back of the "Red Hot Picker" album.

I don't even know if this model has the same measurements as the 801CP. It's for sure that it isn't based on a Harmony H-174. Everything thing is different, the woods, headstock, rosette, binding etc. Of course it isn't worth $3000, especially if the guitar is incomplete and not in mint condition. A while ago someone sold the exact same guitar for about in $1000 in mint condition.

The guitar has the original Prismatone pickup, but if you don't have the 22.5v battery box, you can't use it. Now that there is a Prismatone II, people could better go for a cheap Harmony with the new pickup.

Hendrik

Postby bill park » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 am

Hendrik wrote:This is a prototype based on a German guitar, if I'm correct. There were several hundreds, maybe thousands produced. It's called the 800C. You can see Jerry playing the guitar on the back of the "Red Hot Picker" album.

Hendrik -
I don't have the Red Hot Picker album in front of me right now, but I'm almost certain that the guitar Jerry is holding is a Hascal Haile. You can tell from the headstock design (visible on the album photo).
Thanks,
Bill
bill park

Postby Hendrik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 am

bill park wrote:
Hendrik wrote:This is a prototype based on a German guitar, if I'm correct. There were several hundreds, maybe thousands produced. It's called the 800C. You can see Jerry playing the guitar on the back of the "Red Hot Picker" album.

Hendrik -
I don't have the Red Hot Picker album in front of me right now, but I'm almost certain that the guitar Jerry is holding is a Hascal Haile. You can tell from the headstock design (visible on the album photo).
Thanks,
Bill

I think you are right Bill! Don't know why I thought that...
Hendrik

Return to Guitars and Equipment