Paul Yandell/New CGP pickup

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Paul Yandell/New CGP pickup

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 am

Good to hear of Paul's latest innovation for the CGP, and as shown in the photo a neat job of crafting the pickup. Congratulations Paul on the new technology.

Thanks,
Ronnie Evans
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:27 pm

This goes to prove that the true guitar wizard around is Paul Yandel.
Vidar Lund

Postby tyguy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 pm

Vidar Lund wrote:This goes to prove that the true guitar wizard around is Paul Yandel.

The beauty of this pup also is that you don't lose any sensitivity bending strings due to bar design on treble strings.Very savvy. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:49 am

Is there an MP3 to hear what it sounds like ? ? ?
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Gary Smith » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Thats an interesting concept. I wonder if some mfg company will see it and try to make it for themselves.
Gary Smith

Postby George Beasley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Gary Smith wrote:Thats an interesting concept. I wonder if some mfg company will see it and try to make it for themselves.

If enough people asked for it you could probably get a company to make them.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby thenorm » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:21 pm

TV Jones would be the likely candidate for this. Part of the problem is marketability. Getting the word out to players.
Tom obviously has some kind of deal going with Gretsch that allows him to make and market refined replicas of iconic Gretsch pickups so logic would make him the likely maker.

Gretsch, particualrly the Chet Atkins series, is a limited niche. We think it's big because we're all chetaholics but I think Gretsch sales are more in the Anneversary/Brian Setzer area because, let's face it, people focused on Chet are a generational thing. There are some young people keeping the style alive but back then even steel players were copying Chet on some tunes but us older guys who were in our teens when Chet joined RCA and Gretsch are dying out. The hardcore "play like Chet" aficionados are a vanishing breed.

When Chet and Gretsch first came out with the 6120 and 6122 he was new and exciting. He sold a lot of guitars and albums and we got hooked for a lifetime on him and his guitars and his music. But there are few guitarists, make it NO guitarists today that are as marketable as pure instrumentalists as Chet was Back In The Day.

In any case. if Tom Jones were to make the pickup I doubt he's sell many. It would be his call to decide if it would be worth his time and labor to offer them. Not many of us have the resources or skill that Paul Yandell has. He decided to see "what if" and built two pickups. Not many of us could do that. I wouldn't try it and I've done a lot of modifications on different guitars over the years.

It's business and in business a good idea is only a good idea if it makes somebody some money.
thenorm

Postby Paul Yandell » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:15 am

Hi Norm, well they told the Wright Bros. it wouldn't fly the pickup will be made and on the market I don't expect everyone to like it but there is always room for something differant I've made 3 of them I'm putting one on Micah's CG today so we'll see what happens, thanks paul
Paul Yandell

Postby thenorm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 am

I agree there's room for something different and I'm glad TV Jones is going to offer them. He (Tom Jones) knows his market better than I. Ir's possible that other manufacturers might try something similar (as someone asked) but I think TV Jones has a better chance at success due to his association with Gretsch

Still impressed that you were able to build them at home. Of course you do have tools, resources, know how and a parts drawer few others can match but still I know I wouldn't be able to do that.
thenorm

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Paul Yandell wrote:Hi Norm, well they told the Wright Bros. it wouldn't fly the pickup will be made and on the market I don't expect everyone to like it but there is always room for something differant I've made 3 of them I'm putting one on Micah's CG today so we'll see what happens, thanks paul

This pick-up would have to display a unique & distinctive sound from FilterTron & Hi-LowTron pick-ups to attract players. Remember, pick-ups don't just screw in like a light bulb, there's a certain amount of labor involved on top of the pick-up's price unless one has a technical savvy to install it them-self.
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Equipment