Gretsch parts

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gretsch parts

Postby Steve Sanders » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Where would be a good place to get Gretsch guitar parts? I'm thinking of replacing the nut on my '66 Gretsch Nashville. Anybody have any recommendations on material, nylon/plastic or metal? That metal one on the CGP looks nice! Thanks all! Steve
Steve Sanders

Re: Gretsch parts

Postby Norm » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:32 pm

I don't think you can get a readymade nut for any Gretsch. stewmac.com has available materials but if it were my guitar I would most certainly have a guitar technician/repair guy do it
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: Gretsch parts

Postby Norm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:59 am

as for reccomendations I think most would opt for bone but some like delrin or other synthetics that are "self lubricating" for better tranquility with the Bigsby. An improperly cut nut can pinch strings and cause tuning issues with Bigsbys. Using a cheap plastic nut would be an insult to the guitar I would think.

On the subject of Bigsbys and nuts...some folks use various commercial products or graphite to lubricate the nut slots but I'm of the opinion a well made bone nut doesn't need such additives. Mine does not and I have no nut related tuning issues at all.

All of the above is just my opinion.

Your mileage may vary...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Guitars and Equipment