Taylor T5

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Taylor T5

Postby Chuck » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:49 am

Had the pleasure of seeing Doyle Dykes at our local music store a couple months back. As always an inspiration, in every way. Toward the end of his set, he began pulling different Taylors off the walls of the store, and playing (he had been primarily playing his "White Rose" guitar, which of course sounded so great). At one point he pulled a T5 Custom/maple top and played Oh By Jingo. I really liked that sound and have played that very guitar half a dozen times since. Any opinions/pros/cons on these guitars I'd be very interested. One con is the price naturally. Thanks, Chuck
PS, I don't see the T5's mentioned on the Chetboard much, I did a search.
Chuck

Re: Taylor T5

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:06 am

I've played the T5 many times but it just "feels" different than the traditional Taylors. It's not even trying to compete with them in the same way. To me it's like another category of guitar with the Taylor name on it. They are also making solid bodies.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Bob Greenwood » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Pat Kirtley has one and when he played it at CAAS last year I thought it sounded great. I think they're meant to add to the sounds available from the Taylor line. I have a Taylor T5-C1 and I think it's great. I also have a Taylor NS-72, and a Taylor 515, a Fender Strat, and a Gretsch 6120. They're all diferent,and that's the point.
Bob Greenwood

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Bob, I suppose that once I own a steel string acoustic then I'll be looking to widen my variety.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Chuck » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks Bob and Rande, great perspective. Bob, do you have the maple top? It is all subjective of course, but that is what I preffered, though haven't played the koa. I know the spruce is the most popular seller.
Thanks, Chuck
Chuck

Postby Bob Greenwood » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Sorry to take so long to answer, yes it's a maple top, Blue. But, get whatever suits you the most. Each individual has different needs and preferences, so if your gonna spend the money, get what you like the most.
Bob Greenwood

Postby Bob Greenwood » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:40 pm

FYI: Pat Kirtley teaches "Mystery Train" on his T-5, and you can hear and see him play it on You Tube.
Bob Greenwood

Return to Guitars and Equipment