Baldwin 801CP on eBay

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Baldwin 801CP on eBay

Postby bill park » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 am

jay wrote:Thats crazy.....what were these new?

Jay -
The Baldwin 801CP originally cost about $250, but original cost, as you probably well know, has absolutely nothing to do with vintage value. Over the years, I've become convinced without a doubt that vintage values/prices have more to do with CELEBRITY USE than with any other factor. The main reason the Baldwin would bring such a high price is because Jerry Reed and Willie Nelson used it. Same with the '59 Gretsch CG (Chet), or the '58/'59 Les Pauls (Steve Miller, Eric Clapton), or the pre-CBS Strats (any number of rock stars), or the Hofner Beatle bass (McCartney). These guitars aren't necessarily better instruments, we just want them (and are willing to pay higher prices for them) because that's what our HEROES played! 'Course your opinion may differ... :?
Thanks, Bill
bill park

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:02 am

This makes me wonder about the value of my Ovation "Country Artist" nylon that I've had since 1981? I had Chet sign it in 1988 and have a nice picture of the two of us standing with it right afterward. The body joins the neck at the 14th fret and I've performed with it a lot over the years, including in Romania. The main attraction would be Chet's signature on it. I wonder what it's estimated value would be? I've never tried to sell it but many people have approached me about it. I have no idea how to evaluate its value.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby bill park » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 am

RandeDager wrote:This makes me wonder about the value of my Ovation "Country Artist" nylon that I've had since 1981? I had Chet sign it in 1988 and have a nice picture of the two of us standing with it right afterward. The body joins the neck at the 14th fret and I've performed with it a lot over the years, including in Romania. The main attraction would be Chet's signature on it. I wonder what it's estimated value would be? I've never tried to sell it but many people have approached me about it. I have no idea how to evaluate its value.

Rande -
A good place to start would be the Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide, published every year. The 2010 issue lists your Ovation Country Artist at $425 (low) to $475 (high). I remember seeing Glen Campbell and Jerry Reed use this model on the Goodtime Hour, so there is that connection. Chet's autograph would only add value to someone who actually WANTS Chet's autograph on their instrument, how much it would add would be between buyer and seller.
The prices in the Guide should be viewed with caution however - they list the Baldwin 801CP at $700-$800, and I'm pretty certain an original, mint one would be worth at least twice that (as we just witnessed on Ebay).
Thanks, Bill
bill park

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:52 am

RandeDager wrote:This makes me wonder about the value of my Ovation "Country Artist" nylon that I've had since 1981? I had Chet sign it in 1988 and have a nice picture of the two of us standing with it right afterward. The body joins the neck at the 14th fret and I've performed with it a lot over the years, including in Romania. The main attraction would be Chet's signature on it. I wonder what it's estimated value would be? I've never tried to sell it but many people have approached me about it. I have no idea how to evaluate its value.

Hi Rande. I had a Country Artist for many years and really had a lot of fun playing it. I decided to part with it for some reason I can't fathom right now.
I have had a lot of dealings with Elderly Instruments up in Michigan, buying guitars, DVDs, CDs, Books, etc. I think they are honest and I've never had a problem with them. Here is a link to their page where you can get a free appraisal of the value. I hope it's worth a lot.
Take care,
Ray

http://elderly.com/vintage/buy_trade.html
Ray Bohlken

Postby jay » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:15 am

Rande,

The only Ovation I ever bought new was a 1624 (I am assuming that is the model your country artist is). It is in pristine condition and I love playing it. I have bought several and sold them on eBay in the past year. You will be lucky to get 300 for one in used shape...which has some cosmetic blemishes...lacquer cracks and the patented Ovation crack that goes from the bridge to the tail. One in excellent condition will fetch 600 bucks give or take 50. The reason being is that there are so few excellent examples left of that guitar, you can command a premium price and pretty much wait around and someone will pay it. Those prices include the OEM case. Of course that is a rule of thumb...it all depends on how you choose to sell it and who is out there at the time that wants one. The more that want it at that time, the merrier you will be at the end of the auction. Oh...and I wouldn't sell a thing right now...it is a buyers market...not much fun money out there.
jay kantor
jay

Postby RandeDager » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Thanks, everyone! I'm not sure I want to sell it anyway. It has sentimental value. I have a nice picture of myself standing with Chet right after he signed it and it's a physical reminder of that experience. Of course, the picture is basically "proof" for anyone questioning the authenticity of Chet's signature. I live withing an hour and a half from Elderly's. I might stop in there sometime but I'm leaning away from selling it. The previous posts in this thread just got me thinking about it.
Rande
RandeDager

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment