USA Made Guitars

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

USA Made Guitars

Postby srgntschultz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Seems like i have heard every excuse about Gretsch guitars not being made in the Usa! And the quality not being there.Nothing against japan and the gretsch guitars but why cant they make them here in the Usa? And dont give me that same old crap answer that they cant afford the wages in the states. I dont think that taylor and gibson and collings,martin,santa cruz,kirk sand,larrivee and many many other guitar makers arent having any problems! I still think the old gretsch guitars made in the good old USA like the ones Chet played are still the tops. And when they make them here again maybe i'll buy one,but not until then!
srgntschultz

Re: USA Made Guitars

Postby Vidar Lund » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:29 am

Here´s a super stunning US made guitar:

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/servlet/ ... INS/Detail
Vidar Lund

Postby Tom Keller » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I suspect that it has everything to do with wringing the last red cent out of the product name. Its simply less expensive to do in Japan and when Japan becomes too expensive they will find another less expensive labor market. We know it isn't about skills. There probably has never been a time in America when there were more great luthiers and technicians than right now. JMTW. YMMV, IMHO..etc. etc

Tom
Tom Keller

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:06 pm

Who can afford that??? I happen to own one of the Gretsches made in Japan and the quality is 2nd to none. I bought one of the original Nashville Classics (forerunner to the new Gretsch CG) in 2003 and this guitar is a special in every way. In my opinion workers in the USA for the most part do not take any pride in their work anymore. I have owned Gibson guitars made in the "Custom Shop" that were pieces of crap and cost a fortune. I have seen guitars made in China that were real quality instruments. My point is: No matter if the guitar is made in Outer Mongolia or wherever, unless the pride in workmanship is there, it is less than desirable to me.
Roger Pratt

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:59 pm

In the book, 50 Years of Gretsch Electrics, on page 92, Tony Bacon writes that Gretsch tried to get American guitar makers like Gibson, Guild, and Heritage to produce their reissues, but the companies wouldn't agree. I think Gretsch factory facilites had burned down in the 70's so they did not have a way to manufacture guitars on their own. Ultimately, they turned to Terada of Japan, who had experience building hollow body guitars. This is why they are not manufactured in the USA. I had one of the early Japanese guitars and it was of excellent quality and I would love to have a CGP or a 6122-1959 Country Gent.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby srgntschultz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I agree that the ones made in japan are of good quality,but thats why we are in the financial mess we are in right now. It use to mean something when it said MADE IN THE USA especially in the quality part. Goes to show you that no really cares where things are made anymore,just want to see how cheap they can get em. HMM!
srgntschultz

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 am

That $4999 price is one reason Gretsch makes them overseas.

There are a lot of reasons why companies don't manufacture as much here
anymore.
Gov't red tape
High cost of land to build a factory
High corporate taxes compared to other countries.
Unions that have lost all sense of proportion
Eddie Estes

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:56 am

I agree on the Gibson comment.
I bought a Gibson Country Gentleman in 87.
The neck was warped and I could either send it back and was told
it would be 6 to 8 months to get it repaired.
This was after waiting 7 months to get it.

My Japanese made Gretsch CGP was perfect out of the case.
Eddie Estes

Postby thenorm » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm

During my tenure at a music store I saw two gross quality control issues in two different Brooklyn made Tennesseans.
On one the neck completely separated from the body at the heel brand new, right out of the box. On another there was a drop shaped bubble of white paint that escaped the outline of the f-holes. This was no small thing. The drop was about the size of the capital O in this writing and had bled very visibly outside the outline. Those guitars should never have left the factory. When I told people I intended to get a Gretsch I was told to be careful because their quality control had a bad rep.

When Baldwyn bought the company they moved to Arkansas specifically for the cheaper labor. The New York craftsmen, the ones who actually knew how to build guitars, did not move to Arkansas and quality plummeted. Chet was having nightmares about it because people were grumbling about guitars carrying his name were pulling up lame. A factory fire further complicated things.

Chet bailed, Gretsch folded. Went dark.

Fred got the name back and went to Terada for manufacturing. They make a consistantly good guitar particularly after FMIC dipped their oar into production. Fred did not have the money or backing to build a factory from scratch, buy the specialized machines and, most of all, find (or afford) workers who actually knew how to build guitars...set necks... lay in frets etc. in a factory setting. Fender, Guild and Gibson already had their machines and craftsmen in place.

Some of you may think the above is 'the same old crap' or 'the same lame excuses' but guitar building is more than an "All ya gotta do is..." situation.

It's the economics. It's always about the money.

that's how it looks to me.
thenorm

Postby woodmaster4646 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:27 pm

I bought a 1959 reissue country gentlemen made in Japan. I love this guitar and the craftsmanship is second to none.
Back in the 60's a had a orange gretsch with the horseshoe on the head double cutaway that was made in Brooklyn and had problems with the neck. I've had no problems with the 1959 model made in Japan. It's a beautiful guitar. I wish that Gretsch would reissue the Super Chet made in the 70's. Now that was one of the most beautiful Gretsch models made. I didn't care for the control knobs being on the pick guard. Wish they would reissue the super chet with the control knobs mounted in the standard fashion. I like a wide neck and the 1959 model has a slightly wider neck. If they would reissue the super chet i'd buy one. Wish i could send in a sugestion to the company to reissue the super chet.
woodmaster4646

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment