Vox headphone amp

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Vox headphone amp

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:08 pm

I bought a Vox acoustic headphone amp to use with my CE for some quiet-time practice and it works very good. I also tried it with my electric GC's and CGP as well as my Taylor acoustic guitar. The CGP and Taylor probably sounded the best. It also depends what headphone is used. I have an AKG 250, which runs around $100, but a Sony earplug with headband for $20 works good and is much lighter. If you have a need for private listening then I can recommend the Vox Amplug series.
Attachments
Vox Amplug 9.jpg
Vox Amplug 1a.jpg
Vox Amplug headphone amp
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Re: Vox headphone amp

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 am

Ronnie, interesting product. I find listening through headphones coupled to my amps sound very different and less natural than the sound through the speaker and my hi-fi sets. How does this new contraption sound, is it more like the "natural sound" of the speaker of the amplifier?
Vidar Lund

Postby RonBloor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 am

I've had one of those for a couple of years Ronnie and found it useful with my Gibson CE. I've taken it to the cottage in the summer, so I can practice without having to carry an amp. There are a number of models... Mine is the AC30, which I think stands for acoustic. As you say, it is economical and sounds pretty good with the CE.. otherwise there would be virtually no sound from that guitar. I must get it out and try it again :) Thanks.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 am

There are seven models ith different properties.
http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/
My electric guitars are the 6122 Nashville Classic and the 6130 Roundup. I wonder what´s best for them "chetsoundwise", maybe the acoustic model without distortion and overdrive.
Vidar Lund

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:01 am

In response, let me say first that this is a relatively 'new' model not the AC-30. As the label indicates it a ''Vox Acoustic'. It has three settings STANDBY(power off) ON(power on and no effect) and FX (acoustic effect on). It operates on 2 AAA batteries.

The effect is voiced to bring out the high frequencies of acoustic guitar or electric as well depending on the BLEND and TONE control settings. The promotion indicates "it adds sparkle". There is a BLEND control varies the effect. The TONE controls seems to only be adjustable when in the FX mode. In the ON mode the eq sound is more or less 'flat'. The VOLUME control controls the overall level.

There is also an 1/8 input jack for an MP3, CD, Drums, or other effects if desired and the level is controlled at the source rather than the VOX volume. If you want delay or reverb then plug it into your battery powered reverb/delay box output and use a short guitar cable on the input from the guitar.

Comparing the sound to a regular amp speaker is subjective because it depends on what headphone is used. There is no reverb, delay, distortion, on this model only the acoustic FX and BLEND. I experimented with my Gibson and Gretsch CG, the CGP, Gibson CE, and Taylor acoustic steel string and it sounded good on all these after I adjusted for each.

Like everything else there is a trade-off for a full size amp, and it is mostly for private listening or for the convenience of traveling.

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:03 am

Ronnie, thank you for your information. It is most useful.
Vidar Lund

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:18 am

This photo shows the unit unplugged.
Attachments
Vox Amplug 10.jpg
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Return to Guitars and Equipment