Digitech RP355?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Digitech RP355?

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:23 am

Anyone out there using a Digitech RP355? I'm thinking about getting one. The Echoplex simulator has my attention, along with the usb recording capability. I also like that it has a Fender Deluxe Reverb simulator to record with. If you have one I would like to hear how you like it. http://www.digitech.com/products/Multi-Effects/RP355.php Lexicon Reverbs are a plus. The learn-A-lick phrase trainer & 20 second looper are added bonuses!
guitarchuck

Re: Digitech RP355?

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:11 pm

Looks good on paper. I think I would enjoy a test drive.
Richard Hudson

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:41 pm

You're right Richard, it does look good on paper! The proof would be how it really works. :D I've read a lot of good reviews, but I would like to hear some from a Chet Atkins style picker, don't cha know? I probably wouldn't use much more than the Echoplex or Lexicon reverbs through my Standel clone amp. I like the fact that it has a handy built in tuner. I think the Deluxe Reverb simulator would make it nice to record direct to the computer. From what I've read today's processors are much more realistic than the previous generations.
guitarchuck

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:02 pm

Let us know when you check it out. I'm interested also.
Roger Pratt

Postby bill park » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi Chuck -
I've been using the Zoom A2.1U, but that DigiTech looks like a nice unit. Let us know what you think of it.
Bill
bill park

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi Bill,
I used a Zoom G2 for the past few years . I really liked it . The new Zoom G2.1nu was in the running with this Digitech RP355. Many people considered Zoom pedals cheaply made in the past, but they have made great improvements in quality in the last several years. They are built tough and sound great! I'm probably going to get the Digitech in a few weeks and try it.
guitarchuck

Postby John Trahan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi guys,
I have the RP155 and I've got an external pedal attached for expression/volume, depending on what effects are in play. IMHO it's a great little box with more bells and whistles than I've been able to get thru in almost a year of owning it. To my ear, Digitech has done a fine job of cloning the sounds of the effects and amps that are available. Of course the RP355 has beaucoup more stuff in it than mine, but for my purposes, the RP155 does everything I need it to and I only paid $100.00 for it. I've just started experimenting with using the USB connection, but it's pretty neat too. The software interface gives you a lot of flexibility in setting up just the mix you want and the presets and user programable tones allow you to mess around from scratch or start with something you like and make it your own. I use the 20 sec. looper a lot for practicing and the built in drums as well.
John Trahan

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for letting me know about your RP155. I think it has the same processor in it as the RP355. The 355 just has a few more bells & whistles. I'm thinking I will like it. I'll just have to get one and try it for a while. The 20 sec looper makes it more desireable than the Zoom, it only has a 5 sec looper.
guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:47 pm

I just wanted everyone to know that I did end up buying a Digitech RP355 and I really like it so far. I've had it a couple of weeks now. It sounds really good. You do have to spend a little time with it to get it programed the way you want it. I haven't had time to really dig into what all it will do. Right now I've just used the Lexicon reverb, the digital echo and the Echoplex in it. I do use the built in tuner, it's really handy. I also like the volume pedal to tweek my volume a little when I need to. I've done a little playing around with the Fender Deluxe Reverb amp setting and it really sounds good playing at home through a set of headphones. The Fender reverb tank simulation doesn't quite sound real in my opinion. Image
guitarchuck

Postby Roger Pratt » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Hi Chuck......I bought one also and by coincidence I am playing with the very same features that you are. So far I've modified the Twin Reverb model a bit and added Lexicon Room and tweaked the EQ some and like it pretty good. I'm going into the Deluxe Rev. model next. Like you Chuck, the Fender spring reverb sounds phony to me. I've got an amp with it and it doesn't sound at all like that. Keep us posted and I will do the same.
Roger Pratt

Return to Guitars and Equipment