installing classical strings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: installing classical strings

Postby thenorm » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:40 pm

usually wind up replacing a couple of strings that won't note true..."

I read once where Chet said if that happened to take the offending string off and swap it end for end and put it back on. No reason for that to work but he said sometimes it did. Have seen others say the same.

Too much fooling around for my taste. I'll keep my old gent
thenorm

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:43 am

Norm-

I usually just keep extra strings on hand. Sometimes I even put the old string back on if I'm stuck. As I said, though, usually D'Addario ProArtes don't have that problem.

As for your old Gent, yes, you'd better keep it. ;)

I like having different types of guitars around (classical, steel string, electric, etc.). Many times, a song that just sounds so-so on one guitar comes to life on another one.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby thenorm » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:05 am

I was kidding, kinda...

Can't justify the expense of a decent classical just now...
thenorm

Postby RonBloor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:57 pm

thenorm wrote:I was kidding, kinda...

Can't justify the expense of a decent classical just now...

Well, if you can't afford a decent one then get an indecent one... Of course I'm just kidding for sure ... the devil made me say it :twisted:
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby tyguy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Use ball ends(gives more break angle over the bridge and that's a plus).With ball ends(plastic only please)the string can be stuck thru and knotted(save your ball ends).Doesn't matter how you tie them in cause by the time the nylon strings stop stretching and sound good the bass strings are dead(don't change the nylons every time,I guess)!GRRRRR! God bless Ty M.
tyguy

Postby stevemumma » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:30 am

Yeah Ty,
I believe that to be so about the trebles outlasting the bass strings. I still change the entire set because it just seems like a hassle to by partial sets anyway. That way you know they're all crisp and clear. Of course the strings that are broken in are going to be the most reliable...Steve
stevemumma

Postby stevemumma » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:55 am

I, like so many millions of folks like D'Addario strings, but I believe they could do without the loosely wrapped end and keep it the same as the rest of the string...Steve
stevemumma

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:38 am

I always do 2-passes through the bridge on the E, B and G strings, due to their higher tension.
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby TMilcich » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:48 am

Opinions on Classical guitar strings, please. I have a a Godin and a Yairi. I have a preference for Diadarrio, but to be honest have not tried many others. 3 main questions:
What brands are you good artists using?
Are composites worth the extra coin? I am inclined to say no. I love the sound of newer strings, but HATE to take the time to change them. Nothing like the sound of new strings, especially after a couple of days when they get stretched or whatever and stay in tune.
What about the polished strings? I like the diminished scratching sound but they sound deader to me.
Tim Milcich
Lakeland, FL
TMilcich

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment