Digital Recording

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Digital Recording

Postby GaryL » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:59 am

A few weeks ago I posted a question about digital recorders and since then have an update on what I did.

Earlier I posted that I ordered a Behringer Mixer X1204 USB for $179.00 at Musician's Friend.
I tried it out for two weeks and sent it back. Musician's Friend was great about the return and I only paid the shipping back. The mixer was very nice and the problem for me is it sent 16 Bit information to my computer via the USB. If it was 24 Bit I'm sure it would have been fine and I would have kept it.

Roger Hardin recommended an M-Audio USB interface. I bought the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. Musician's Friend wanted $349.00. I bought it on-line for $283.00 at J&R in NYC.

The Ultra is 24 Bit and samples up to 96K. I've been recording my amplifier by mic into the Ultra and USB that into Audacity 1.3 Beta. When I play the recorded file it sounds like my amp and there is no distortion I was hearing before at 16 Bit. I've burned tracks on CD and the CD's sound good in my car and on my stereo system. It's awesome.

Another thing I did was to load Audacity 1.3 Beta and now use that instead of Audacity 1.2.6. The Beta version works better and has some new abilities I really like - exports to 24 Bit, 15 Bit, WMA.

Thanks Roger for the tip.

GaryL
GaryL

Return to Guitars and Equipment