Del Vecchio Truss Rod

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Del Vecchio Truss Rod

Postby alexjones » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Craig,
Thanks for the very informative post. It's very satisfying to hear that your Del Vec does not have a truss rod and that you play with non nylon strings and your neck isn't bowed. It is difficult to dig alot of information about these guitars, but what I have gathered is that some of them came with nylon strings on them and some came with silk and steel. That combination for strings sounds nice Craig - I have heard that the Del Vecs lack a little bass - so I am sure the classical bass strings help that a little. I should be getting it early next week so I will string it up and see how she sounds. Will report back later. Thanks guys for the help!
Alex
alexjones

Postby thenorm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:19 pm

I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in the wound strings between silk and steel strings and classical strings.

The 'silk and stees' wounds have a ball end on them because they were designed to be put on non-classical guitars. The silk and steel and classical wounds are essentially made the same.... wirewinds on a multifilament core. The distinction would be whether you use steel or nylon on the unwound strings. I rhink the DV resonator guitars were designed with the idea that plain strings were to be installed.

But once they're out the door anything goes...
thenorm

Postby craigdobbins » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Hi Norm-

You're correct, there's not a whole lot of difference (the operative phrase being "a whole lot')- but there is definitely a difference. Most silk and steel strings have a steel core, a filament inner wind, and a silver coated copper outer wind. From the http://www.frets.com website:

http://www.frets.com/fretspages/musician/strings/strings/strings01.html

The silk and steel wound strings have a little higher tension and a more metallic sound, because of the steel core. As you know, most classical wound strings have a filament core, which makes them more flexible and gives them a warmer sound.

Paul McGill told me that Chet was experimenting with the classical basses because he thought they gave a deeper tone. I can really hear the difference on my DV, but it sounds good with the regular silk and steel set, too. As you said, it's the plain treble strings that really have the characteristic ringing tone, anyway.

A little side note: on page 129 of MAMG, you can see that Chet had regular classical strings (the tie-on kind) on the 5th and 6th strings of the little Gretsch resonator prototype. He was always experimenting, wasn't he?

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby albertgen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 pm

I use GHS #345 silk and steel strings. the guages are 10 13 20 26 34 42. Thats the lightest guage I've ever found. They sound great on a Del Vecchio. My DV is one of the one's Chuck Tucker was selling at the convention some years ago. It has a built-in truss rod, an ebony fretboard, and custom tuners which are pretty neat looking. It's a nice guitar but I hope to find one like Craig's someday. Al
albertgen

Postby thenorm » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:13 am

Interesting
wasn't aware silk and steel wounds had a steel core

back in my music store days I changed a lot of strings for people but, come to think of it, I may well have never had to put on true silk and steel strings for anyone. A lot of La Bella "Folk" strings but those were like heavy guage classical strings with ball ends.

I figured out once that I changed about three and a half miles worth of strings on other people;s guitars...
thenorm

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment