1991 GIBSON CHET ATKINS FLEUR DE LIS GUITAR ***RARE!***

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: 1991 GIBSON CHET ATKINS FLEUR DE LIS GUITAR ***RARE!***

Postby David Elliott » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I think the one listed on Ebay right now is priced about right, even though most folks wouldn't spend that kind of money on a guitar.

Yeah, I think the price would be "reasonable", considering the guitar's rarity. This instrument is a true collectors item, because of the few that were made by Gibson. I believe the last I heard there were only 6 or 8 of these known to exist, and that was including Chet's in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville.

I have a 1993 (standard model) Chet Atkins "Studio" CEC, and even these are becoming nearly impossible to find, even though to the best of my knowledge they're essentially the same guitar as the "Fleur-de-Lis" model, only lacking the cosmetic additions of MOP purfling, the headstock saying "The Gibson", and the little "cgp" on the fretboard. As far as I'm aware, the electronics, etc. are identical in both guitars.

I even read an article once that said Chet didn't particularly like the "marijuana leaf" cut-out on the Fleur-de-Lis model, because he thought it was somewhat "gaudy" looking! Whether or not this was true or not I don't know, but Paul Yandell might.

David
David Elliott

Postby BillB » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:08 pm

I was thinking that it might be worth that to a true collector who has the money to spend. However, the fact that it has the repaired crack makes me wonder if it might be a bit high priced.

But then... how many of those guitars were made?
Like maybe 7 or 8 of them?

If I were a serious collector, which I'm not, I'd probably get on a plane and go take a look at it first. Then, I'd probably make an offer, since that is an option.

In truth, I'd love to have Kirk build one for me for a couple thousand less, if I had the money.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm

I think that a person has to approach this with the right frame of mind. As simply an instrument to own and play, with no other plans, it might not seem worth it. But to someone whose intention is to sell it later for a profit, then the asking price might seem more reasonable. I tend to be in the first category. The more playable and the nicer sounding I can get it to be for the present, the more valuable it is to me.
Rande
RandeDager

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment