Tru-arc bridges

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Tru-arc bridges

Postby Tom Workman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Howdy, all.
I had recently posted about finally acquiring my "dream guitar", a Nashville Classic and I was considering ordering a Tru-arc bridge for it. I was just wondering what the general consensus was concerning the different metals available. I listened to a comparison of them on-line (thanks, Craig Dobbins) and to tell you the truth I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference as they all sounded good to me. Opinions anyone? -Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Tru-arc bridges

Postby thenorm » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Paul reccommended brass to me. Probably because the original bridges for gents were chromed brass.
That's what I got (single cut Gent made in '61)

I think Tim has a website now and probably describes the differences in tone but I doubt your listeners could discern the tonal difference (or would care)

that's how it looks to me
thenorm

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:01 pm

My ears are not what they used to be. I have the copper Tru Arc on mine, simply because that is what Tim recommended. It does have a good full mellow tone that I like very well, however, that brass might provide a little more clarity. Paul has taken the time to experiment with all of them and his recommendation of brass would probably fit most everybody here. I already had my Tru Arc when Paul made that recommendation. I may have the opportunity to visit with Tim in the next few months which will give me an opportunity to try out all of the different metals and see if one suits me better. Tim has a very liberal return policy. If you don't like the tone, you can always swap for something else. Just costs a little postage.
Richard Hudson

Postby craigdobbins » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Tom-

It's a subtle thing. Unless you listen to the clips on my website with high quality speakers (high quality headphones would be best), you won't be able to tell much difference online. I have the brass TruArc on my 59 CG. I didn't care for the aluminum, but the copper and stainless steel both sounded good. To my ear, the brass just sounded more pleasing, more like you'd expect Chet's CG to sound.

The sustain improved noticeably with all except the aluminum, which had less sustain than the stock Gretsch brass bridge. An added plus is a very slight improvement in intonation, probably because of the arch of the bridge.

You'll probably need to lower your action a wee bit, because the TruArc profile sits a little higher than the Gretsch bridge.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Tom Workman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Norm, Richard and Craig... thank you very much for responding. Looks like I'm going to start with the brass one. Hope to meet you all someday. Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby George Beasley » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:30 am

I've had a copper bridge on my NC for about 2 years. I remember the tone was slightly different, and that I liked it, but now I can't remember the difference. I did lower my action, and do believe that it made for a better playing guitar.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Return to Guitars and Equipment