We never know what the future holds

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

We never know what the future holds

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue May 10, 2011 5:11 pm

I posted this as a note on Facebook so I thought I would share this with my friends on the Chetboard.

I had a concert scheduled at my Sisters Church in SC on Saturday and Sunday a week ago. My Dad had been sick and called me that Monday before the weekend concert and ask me if I would Play a concert at his Church on that Sunday night since I was playing that Sunday morning a couple of hours up the road. I told him if he could work it out with his Pastor I would. It had been quit a while since my Dad heard me play so this all worked out and his Pastor let me have that Sunday night service. 3 days later Dad was diagnosed with Leukemia and treatment was scheduled for the next week. The Doctors seemed confident about his chances and I thought he would beat this. I played the service Sunday night and spent the next day with him thinking everthing would be fine and left early Tuesday morning to head back home. On Wednesday, the day the Chemotarapy was scheduled to begin my dad was admitted to ICU with Pneumonia. He was told he had an extremely low white blood cell count and was given some very strong drugs just to keep his blood pressure up. Thursday morning I got a call from my brother saying they would stop giving the blood preassure treament and he would slip away. A couple of hours after I arrived at the hospital my dad passed away. I am so thankful I got to play for him that Sunday night. About 12 years ago I played " The Old Rugged Cross" at my Mom's last Wednesday night service not knowing she would be gone and last week I played at my Dad's final Church service. I have felt bad about leaving him that Tuesday morning but I had no idea what God's plans were. I remember when I opened my segment of that Sunday night service I thanked Pastor Black at Mauldin Church of God for giving me the opportunity and said something like "what arm twisting did my Dad do to make this happen." When I saw Pastor Black at the hospital the next Thursday He looked at me and said " and now we know why."

Please keep my family in your prayers.
Roger Hardin

Re: We never know what the future holds

Postby BillB » Tue May 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Roger,
I'm so sorry to hear about your father's passing, but what a blessing that you were there on Sunday to play for him. I know how tough it is to lose parents, and my heart and my prayers go out to you at this time. May God comfort you and your family, and may He give you the peace and hope that you will see your loved ones again in glory.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Tue May 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Roger, those are the kinds of stories I used to read in "Guidepost" magazine. Thanks for sharing that with us. I'm sorry for your loss and it makes those of us who are older to value the time we have with our parents. I just saw my 82 year old mother last Friday.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby guitarchuck » Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Roger,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. I believe God worked it out for you to play for him that last time.
guitarchuck

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed May 11, 2011 12:14 am

What a touching story Roger. I am so happy that you were able to play for your Dad before his passing.
Roger Pratt

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed May 11, 2011 12:30 am

Roger, I know your playing was a blessing to your Dad, as it always has been to us. However, I am sure it was special for your Dad. It's tough being a long ways away from your folks, but those concerts were ordered by a higher power. My condolences to you and your family.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby Phil Owens » Wed May 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Bless you, Roger. Your folks were very fortunate to have son like you.

Phil
Phil Owens

Postby stgayle » Thu May 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Circle will not be unbroken
Your dad is able to play withChet now
Dear Jesus keep this family close to your heart
stgayle

Return to Announcement and News