Paul Yandell Day

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Paul Yandell Day

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:40 am

When Paul autographed my copy of his 'Fingerstyle Legacy' he mentioned "the brotherhood of guitar players", and I thought it a nice thing to say. Later, I realized how much he meant that as he has demonstrated time after time here on the Chetboard, in personal emails, phone conversations, and helpful hints he willingly shares. I was having a problem with the pickup on my CE so I called Paul and asked him what I could do about it. He sent me a spare he had at 'no charge' not even for the shipping. Many players have had similar experiences with Paul's generosity.

Paul always cuts-to-the-chase whether giving playing or repair tips, or opinions, and through his candor I always get the message loud and clear. When Paul speaks we listen as his posts always get the most hits on the Chetboard.

Paul's hard work and dedication in getting the Gretsch Country Gentleman and CGP reissued has given countless Chet fans a chance to own and play a guitar like Chet played. His dedication to Chet's legacy is well known to us in the "brotherhood".

I appreciate Paul Yandell for what he does to make guitar playing more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

Thanks Paul
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Huntin Boots » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm

Paul at last year's CAAS when I came by your table the first thing you did was to give your condolences about my father's passing. It was very kind of you to do this and quite meaningful. The year prior you autographed my dad's limited edition orange '59 CG reissue and he was so delighted.

Like the other members I just felt like sharing this on the board. You certainly deserve your own DAY !!!

Steve Ledford
Huntin Boots

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:35 pm

Sorry us Ohio pickers couldn’t “make your Day” (like Clint Eastwood), Paul, cuz we were already committed to having our monthly Pickin’ Party back here in Columbus. However, I’ve got to tell you we picked quite a few of your tunes and arrangements in your honor last Saturday morning and early afternoon – knowing we were all pickin’ about the same time as you were being venerated in just exactly where it should have taken place – Muhlenberg County, Kentucky.

I know you couldn’t hear us, but I hope you know what we were all saying: We love you, man, for what you did for Chet – and, what you’ve done for us. Giving us all those smoooooth licks, tunes and arrangements to attempt to play “just like Paul.”

I hope you had a good day,

Palmer Moore – Organizer
Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club
Pickin Palmer

Postby Paul Yandell » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:51 am

I was really honored Sat last at the Merle Travis music center I think they do too moch for me I'm just a Ky boy who got lucky, as most of you know I'm dealing with the big C it's not too bad right now but who knows what' around the corner, I've been doing a few things when I've been feeling up to it, I've written some new tunes Steve Wariner and I recordered one of them last week I don't know what he intends of doing with it, I doing sort of what Chet did I'm recording some tunes so Marie and Micah will have a cd to realease if they want to, I've got a idea for a new pickup I'm going to fool with one of these days I'm still playing my CGP I still think it's my best guitar, I checked with Joe Carrducci this week and he said the storm in Japan didn't effect the Gretsch factory, well thanks for all the kind words it's great to know that one has great friends, paul
Paul Yandell

Postby B. Spann » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:46 am

I first met Paul in 1974. John Knowles, Dick Roby and myself had gone to Nashville so John could visit with Chet about some arrangements for the album, Chet Atkins Goes to the movies. Prior to our time with Chet we stopped by Jerry Reed's office and Paul was minding the store. We introduced ourselves to Paul and asked if he would play us a tune. He said, " I don't play tunes, I just do licks". Sine then, I have had occasions to be with Paul many times, and Paul, you are the best "just licks Player", I know. Thanks for all the great licks you have performed all these many years, and may there be many more yet to come. Congratulations on your special day. You are a special man.
Bill Spann
B. Spann

Postby pattie surman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:26 pm

One of the greatest honors in the world is to be called friend by Paul Yandell. Congratulations . Stan.
pattie surman

Postby Claude Duguay » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Congratulations to you Paul, I had the opportunity to talk to you at the 2007 convention, I had difficulty with my English, but you took time for me, and I highly appreciated . . thanks to you for all you done ,you made beautiful music and take time for the fans,Chet is proud of you Paul!
My greetings to all the family
Best Regards ..Claude
Claude Duguay

Postby RandyBuckner » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Paul -

You've been an inspiration to me for many years, and it was an honor to be allowed to pick some tunes for you on Saturday. Also - You and Paul Moseley did a great job on those CGP's.

Take care -

Randy
RandyBuckner

Previous

Return to Announcement and News