Boss rc-20xl phrase recorder

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Boss rc-20xl phrase recorder

Postby Roger Crews » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:04 pm

howdy fellows . need some playing tips with this pedal . got one for Christmas and figured its time to learn this thing . played with it a little the other day . was mostly a mess.

what is the trick to using this one like i have seen some guys do performing live. something that might get me on track with this would be what note or beat would i start recording , playing Ill see you in my dreams , so when your in the second round or verse your playing with your self with out missing a beat?

Another idea for the pedal could be , if you knew all the parts you could reproduce the 3 part harmony on winterwalkin like chet did in the vidoe I requested a while back
Roger Crews

Re: Boss rc-20xl phrase recorder

Postby GaryL » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Roger,
To start learning the pedal I'd suggest just recording some rythm chords for a song. Do an entire verse or chorus and at the end there usually is a turnaround. When you hear the turnaround chords, you know your about to start the verse/chorus again and just play along with it at that point. Practice doodling and after a while it will get easier.
GaryL
GaryL

Re: Boss rc-20xl phrase recorder

Postby bill park » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Roger Crews wrote: what note or beat would i start recording , playing Ill see you in my dreams , so when your in the second round or verse your playing with your self with out missing a beat?

Roger -
I've used a Boss RC20XL for several years now and really like it - it is great fun to play along with yourself doing rhythm or harmonies or just practicing a lick. Once you get the levels correct and learn just when to press the pedal, it proves to be an excellent aid to improving improvisational technique (which I was never any good at, but the RC20XL has helped). On "I'll See You In My Dreams," try pressing the pedal on "See" (the first beat of the first line), play through the whole song and then press the pedal again right on the beat when "See" comes around again. With practice, you'll be in perfect sync with the recorded rhythm and you can play as many variations on it as Django did.... :D Bill
bill park

Return to Announcement and News