Small High Quality Amp

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Small High Quality Amp

Postby jhayes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 pm

There were several small high quality sounding amps mentioned on the old "Chet Board" that would be great for fingerpicking a G5122 through and they were really light in weight. The problem is: I can't remember the brands or model numbers. If anyone can refresh my memory I'd certainly appreciate it. It would be nice if it had a effects circuit on board: I just need a little delay/reverb. Thanks, Jim

Tom, I love the new Chet Board,but, I'll have to learn to use it. Thanks, Jim :D
Jim Hayes
jhayes

Re: Small High Quality Amp

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Take a serious look at these. I own two different models.

The clarity and responsiveness of these amps is really remarkable. Don't let the fact that they are called "Jazz" amps scare you off.

http://www.jazzamp.com/

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby jhayes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:51 am

Hi Randy,thanks for the information on the jazz amps. They look like they would really be good to play through, but, are a little too pricy for me. At age 69, I'm looking for a relative light weight amp that has good sound qualities. I'm currently playing through a Fender Acoustasonic that I like really well except it's getting kinda heavy to tote around. Have you played through a ZT Lunchbox or similar amp that you might recommend? The amp has 200 watt output, but, I wonder about the sound quality since I wouldn't normally use it at about 40 or 50 watt level. Thanks, Jim
Jim Hayes
jhayes

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Jim....You might like a Roland Cube. I own a Micro Cube and a Cube 30. They also have a 15 and a 20 watt model. The sound of these little amps is amazing and you would be knocked out by the sound of the little Micro Cube. I use mine often but when I want a fuller sound, I go to the Cube30. I use the Blackface model or the JC Clean channel and it is good for nylon string guitars too. I highly recommend them and they are not too expensive either.
Roger Pratt

Postby RonBloor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Rogers going to think I'm following him around :) Anyway, the Roland amps are great for their effects. I bought a Micro Cube Bass RX and it is a really nice amp for a portable and it has some great features. It won't fill a big room, but it sure puts out for such a tiny amp. They also have the guitar version, but I think my Bass version works better for getting some lows out of such a small amp. I paid $229 cdn on sale. They sell for about $240 at GCs.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby rayed » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:54 pm

jhayes wrote:There were several small high quality sounding amps mentioned on the old "Chet Board" that would be great for fingerpicking a G5122 through and they were really light in weight. The problem is: I can't remember the brands or model numbers. If anyone can refresh my memory I'd certainly appreciate it. It would be nice if it had a effects circuit on board: I just need a little delay/reverb. Thanks, Jim

Tom, I love the new Chet Board,but, I'll have to learn to use it. Thanks, Jim :D

Hi Jim,

You might have a look at the Micro Cube. A nice little battery powered unit for "Frontroom Pickin."

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... OCUBE-LIST

Shopping around may find a lower price ..??

------------
Ray
rayed

Postby jhayes » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think the Roland Cube was the amp that I remembered everyone talking about. I'll have to get to the music shop, plug the guitar in and see what happens! Best regards, Jim
Jim Hayes
jhayes

Postby Pvee » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:56 pm

I have been using a Fender Super CHamp XD for a few months.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... 0-000-LIST
299.00 new, but I found a coupon and a sale and got mine for around 259.00 at Guitar Center.

I like the clean channel and I found a setting for the humbucker jazz sound that I like.

Plenty of effects built in.
6V6 output tubes and a 10: speaker.
Pvee

Postby RonBloor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:07 pm

There is a considerable difference between the original Roland Micro Cube and the newer Micro Cube RX. They are different animals.. Just so you know.

rayed wrote:
jhayes wrote:There were several small high quality sounding amps mentioned on the old "Chet Board" that would be great for fingerpicking a G5122 through and they were really light in weight. The problem is: I can't remember the brands or model numbers. If anyone can refresh my memory I'd certainly appreciate it. It would be nice if it had a effects circuit on board: I just need a little delay/reverb. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

You might have a look at the Micro Cube. A nice little battery powered unit for "Frontroom Pickin."

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... OCUBE-LIST

Shopping around may find a lower price ..??

------------
Ray
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Steve Sanders » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Well, I was waiting for someone else to chime in, but here I go again. I am still a big fan of the Phil Jones AG100 Cub amp. It is 100 watts and weighs less than 12 pounds. Comes with a handy-dandy padded carrying case with a shoulder strap. You owe it to yourself to at least try one out before you plop down your hard-earned money. It just shouldn't have that kind'a sound coming out'a that little ol' box! I done give up tryin' to figger it out and now just accept the fact that it has that big ol' amp sound. I got mine from www.Djangobooks.com and they are good folks. But wait, now they come not only in black tolex but also kind'a reddish / burgandy too! Go to Phil Jones website and read all about it. And if you can locate one nearby go and try it out with your favorite guitar. Oh yeah, take money!!! Like I done said before....come back and post your decision and let us all know what you ended up with. Steve Sanders
Steve Sanders

Next

Return to Announcement and News