CAAS 2018

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

CAAS 2018

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Just wondering how it went with the CAAS Convention in Nashville this year. Did a lot of folks turn out? Were there more or less sho-nuff Chet-pickers or "other" pickers!?! I haven't ever attended but sure like to hear and see postings of the "goings-on". Hope some of you post some news and maybe some videos. Thanks, Steve
Steve Sanders

Re: CAAS 2018

Postby BillB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 am

I've been a total of 7 times, and I hadn't been since 2015. It was as good, if not better, than any time I've ever been. I hesitate to say it was the best, only because of Paul Yandell's passing several years ago. My first CAAS in 2006 was when I met him and his family, and he treated me like an old friend from there forward. Those of us that had the opportunity to know him miss him dearly at every CAAS convention.

Anyway, the highlights for me were the Thursday night program with Richard Smith, Tommy Emmanuel, Guy Van Duser, Jim Nichols and the band recreating the complete album, A Session With Chet Atkins, on the main stage. It was fantastic to say the least. Other highlights were performances by the "Young Thumbs". It is great to see such a youth movement taking to the guitar stylings of Chet and Merle, among others. I happened to walk into the room where Kirk Sand and Mel McCullough display their guitars just in time to see Tommy, Richard, and Jim Nichols play several songs in a small setting. Doyle Dykes coming on Friday night after Tommy to close was great. His picking was great, and he did a couple of funny songs like "Guitar Poor" and "Butt Call". His daughter and grandkids provided some music and laughs as well. Saturday night was good as well with comedian/magician, Kevin King, filling in while people were getting their instruments plugged in, etc.

There was lots of great picking throughout the week, and I know I missed a lot of it. There was always some great picking going on in the Ohio room. And as usual, it was great to see friends that I've met over the years. Some of them I knew here on the Chetboard before I ever attended CAAS.

Oh, and I almost forgot about Eddie Pennington, Eddie Estes, and Guy Van Duser playing "Won't You Come Home, Bill Bailey" while just jamming out in the convention lobby. And on Saturday after the last show, Tommy, Richard, Jack Pearson, and several others had a great jam session in the hotel lobby. At one point, Tommy was leading a sing-a-long of Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Beatles songs. That was great fun!

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby DagerRande » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am

Bill, that was a great report! I suspected that if you saw the request that you would probably do the most thorough reporting of anyone. It was nice to see you again after you having missed for those few short years. I failed to mention that you've also improved significantly in your own playing (at least in my estimation). My favorite moments are less mainstream, where I can learn and pick up things that I can take home with me. Watching and listening to Audie Wykle, Eddie Estes, Ray Cummins, and Rick Allred were my favorite experiences. Also, your energy and enthusiasm always makes it fun for me!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby BillB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:03 pm

Hey Rande,

It was great to see you! I had to edit my post 2 or 3 times. I kept remembering things. Wish I could have seen more folks play, picked with more people, and visited more with you and others that I only see at CAAS. It was a great time!

Bill B.
BillB

Postby rkk2786 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:14 pm

As always, seeing all the great friends and pals is the best part! I hate that we cant spend more time together, sharing stories and seeing guys play in the lobby are always my favorite! Hope to see everyone down the road real soon!

Micah
rkk2786

Postby DagerRande » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Micah, you've made important things happen for people over the years. You've made it possible for Eddie to perform with your dad's guitar and you helped to get Eddie and Audie on the main stage this year. It's always nice to see you out in the lobby and I don't know if people realize the power of your influence. I always enjoy visiting with you and Marie!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:29 am

I can only “take the temperature” of the convention from my little Picker's Club Room – but, from there it was one of the best ever. Fun club jams, new talent, new attendees, and Tommy. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many new attendees right from Wednesday morning on. The lobby, which had been rather sparse with people for a number of past years on Wednesdays, was bustling with people clamoring to check in. A lovely sight.

There's always something new that differentiates each convention in the Room: One year it was the new duo of Loren & Mark. Another year is was the Young Thumbs first concert in the Room. Tim & Myles when Myles was like 15. Adam Rafferty came popping through, years ago. This year it was Tommy sitting on stage introducing us to a slew of talented European “twenty somethings,” including Shane Hennessey – Ireland, Brian (Dutch) van der Sanden, and Nichola Stajic. (Sounds like a roster for the World Cup!! (lol)

My personal favorite was when we had Smokin' Joe and young Frano on our little stage for a half hour and I had gone into the outter room to “buy them another half hour” - somehow forgetting to mention it to them. So, when I was proudly prancing back into the Room to “give them the extra time,” they were diligently paying strict attention to their allotted time frame – and, were UNPLUGGING! Sooo, now I'm stuck with a half hour slot right in the middle of the afternoon.

About that same time this other “twenty something” Italian man had come in asking, (paraphrased with humor) “Palamar, I ah understand ah I can maybe get to play ah in a your Room?” I had NO IDEA who he was or HOW WELL he could play, but I barked, “What are you doing, right now?” He quickly smiled at me and said, “No, I'm ah not fooling.” I came right back, “No, I mean do you have your guitar with you?” What happened immediately after that was pure magic.

He came in, sat on the edge of the little stage, plugged into my Bose and proceeded to simply AMAZE everybody that was lucky enough to have stayed and listened. Stage presence, humor, glib talk and TALENT from Alberto Lombardi... (Al”bear”tow LomBARdi... how'd I do?)

Turns out that he's a professional rock lead guitar player that has recently fallen in love with our finger style guitar music... I don't have a video of him playing in the Room, but here's his YT page: https://www.youtube.com/user/newbelairstudio

Oh, it was a good year!!!!

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Roger_Pratt » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Alberto is an extraordinary guitar player. One of the best I have heard in a while!!
Roger_Pratt

Return to Announcement and News