the norm

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

the norm

Postby rkk2786 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:51 pm

passed away today! Please keep his family in your prayers!

Best regards,
Micah
rkk2786

Re: the norm

Postby rkk2786 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 pm

from norm

Saw this posted a couple minutes ago on his facebook feed:

If you are reading this I have Gone South and am now embarked on a new adventure. In the past I’ve referred to it as “being on the Freedom Train” free of care and sadness and hurt. I hope I finished my assignment to satisfaction… If my core beliefs are accurate I’m in good shape. I can hear and see perfectly now and know a lot of answers to a lot of questions I’ve had all my life. If I’m really lucky I get to play guitar and hear what I’ve missed all my life but I’m not sure they issue guitars where I’m going. Make it OK that I’ve moved on. I was getting creaky anyway and things weren’t working as well as they once did. I lost the guarantee somewhere. Mark Twain said “If you can’t make seventy by a comfortable road, don’t go.” I’m not ‘dead’. I just finished using my body. I’m very much alive… Don’t be afraid of it because it’s part of the Universal Cycle after all... And know that you’ve been a part of some of the good things in my life…you’ve been part of the warm, sunny spots and maybe even some of the tears. I hope it’s both because it makes it all a balance. Some of you were involved with me more than others but we know the depth as individuals how the sharing was and the degree doesn’t matter because each of you had my full attention during our times… Think a nice thought of me once in a while… make a point of trying to be nice to the next person you meet… say “hey” to anybody that’s worth a damn… Get rid of any negative baggage you might have and fly free… Pray once in a while. Don’t let anyone try to tell you what God is or isn’t. If you listen quietly you’ll realize you know already even if you can’t explain it. Play a Chet Atkins record once in a while. That’s what I was shooting for. He was my hero as a musician and a person and I chose well, I think… Forgive any hurts I caused you… I never hurt out of meanness but more likely out of fear and insecurity. Try to remember me when my beard was darker and when I played in tune. Remember always that I loved you best as I could… Hoka Hey…

RIP Norm, you were a good guy.
rkk2786

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Prayers for the Norm Van Maastricht family. I always enjoyed discussing the details & theories that we had about Chet's guitars here on the Chetboard. I also will miss the emails & annual Christmas card that he made & sent out every year. I'm so glad he was able to get his book on Paul published, it is quite an achievement & an excellent book. We will definitely miss "The Norm".
guitarchuck

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 pm

This is so sad. He was an excellent example of a human being. I always enjoyed his thoughts and ideas. Thanks for posting this.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby rkk2786 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:11 pm

If any of you know what the arrangements are for norm please let me know!

Best regards,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby Roger_Pratt » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:20 pm

I have known Norm for many years and was always amazed by his vast knowledge of most things and Chet in particular. I talked to Paul Yandell about him now and again and Paul always seemed to get along with Norm better than some. Norm and I never saw eye to eye about politics but he was one of those "Left Coast Guys" as he would call himself. He was interesting to talk with and I shall miss him. See you on down the line Norm!
Roger_Pratt

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:16 am

Norm loved this Chetboard - where i believe he got most of his knowledge on Chet and Paul.... Rest in peace!
Pickin Palmer

Postby DagerRande » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:11 pm

More than knowing so much about Chet, Norm was a walking encyclopedia when it came to Gretsch's!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:56 am

Grazie for everything Norm.

Paolo.
Spadaro Paolo

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm

FB_IMG_1531158898095.jpg

Norm seemed to be well known in his area. This is a painting of him on the Gelb Music store where he used to work.
guitarchuck

Next

Return to Announcement and News