Broken rib playing guitar??

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Broken rib playing guitar??

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Have any of youz guys ever broke a rib playing guitar??? I did. Of course, I tell everybody that I broke it during a rugby match (lol) – but, truth is I jammed my guitar into my rib cage and broke a rib. Well, I severely bruised it if nothing else.

I was nervously going through a sound check on a very cramped stage full of drums, microphones, amps, keyboards, etc. a couple of weeks ago. I was sitting on the edge of the stage sitting on a drummers stool that was too low for me right in front and almost touching the bass drum – that wasn't going to be used, anyway. And, I wasn't happy with the sound the “man” was giving me, my PorchBoard, or my bass player's tone. During a lull in the sound check I thought I might gain a little extra space if I “scooted” up a bit. At which time I must have hit one of the mic stands – which started it tipping over slowly forward – off the stage. I reached out for it very non-nonchalantly, but as I said my guitar was in my lap and restricted my movement a bit and I couldn't grab it. It continued on it's slow turning faster fall off the stage so I increased my effort to REACH OUT FOR IT. And, all of a sudden I got this horrific pain shooting through my rib cage right where my guitar was tucked. I yelled out like a 6 year old with his first sliver in his finger!!! My first thought was “how in the world am I going to play in an hour?”

The pain did subside enough to play that 40 minute segment, but “where” I held the guitar did make a difference in the level of pain and constantly on my mind – which made for a rather mediocre performance. Well, that's my excuse – and, I'm stickin' with it!!! LOL

Am I the only idiot out there that has ever broken a rib playing geetar??
Pickin Palmer

Re: Broken rib playing guitar??

Postby DagerRande » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:08 pm

Palmer, that was painful to read! At first I couldn't understand how you could so violently jam your guitar against your ribcage. Then when you explained that you were rescuing it and preventing a catastrophe, it all made sense. I've never broken a rib (or any bone, for that matter) but I understand that it tends to heal slowly because of the necessity for it to be in motion, even if only for breathing. Hopefully you'll be nearly back to normal in July for CAAS.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Tom Workman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Hey, Palmer... As I recall, many years ago Charlie Berwinkle injured his chest via his guitar rubbing against it from playing so much. He didn't break a rib but, I think it did result in some minor surgery. I remember he had to keep it bandaged for a while. Now that's a lot of guitar-playing! Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Roger Pratt » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 pm

Palmer....I hate to put salt on the wound so to say but it makes perfect sense when you take into account your age. You are approaching the century mark aren't you? LOL Old folks bones are brittle so I've heard. You take care now ya hear! :lol: :lol:
Roger Pratt

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:40 am

Age? I heard that the rib cage is the last thing to go on an old dude......Harold.. :lol:

Charlie B plays a LOT OF GUITAR!!!!
Pickin Palmer

Return to Announcement and News