GaryL

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

GaryL

Postby rkk2786 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Hey Gary, heard your download on The Gretsch Pages! Who are you, would really like to meet you, your a great player! Have you ever been to the CAAS?

Tx,
Micah
rkk2786

Re: GaryL

Postby GaryL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello Micah,
Thanks for your nice comments! and listening to my download on the Gretsch Pages.
Unfortunately, I never made it to a CAAS meeting and I always wanted to go. Three little kids and not enough vacation time to pull it off. I did visit Nashville a couple of times on business trips, but did not see Chet or Paul then. I met Chet and Paul when they were on the road locally several times (i.e., New England). Your dad was VERY nice to me - talking after shows and letting me know Chet would come out later. We exchanged emails a few times, but I did not want to be a pest. In one email he got my picture with my brand new Nashville Classic. What a guitar!

I'm 61 years old and retired a year ago. I was an aerospace engineer.
I play guitar and try to make my own arrangements in the style of Chet and your dad. It's all good fun and so challenging.

I'm not sure when I will attend a CAAS meeting, but if you are in Connecticut, you and family are very welcome to visit me and my wife. She's a great cook.
Regards,
GaryL

Link to my download as follows:
http://gretschpages.com/media/songs/Without_You.mp3
GaryL

Postby rkk2786 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 pm

Yea, I think I remember dad mentioning you!
rkk2786

Postby rkk2786 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Gary your way above average, you should consider doing a CD, if so I'd be willing to possibly selling them at our table at the CAAS!

Tx,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby rkk2786 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Gary if you ever want to play at the CAAS let me know, I'm positive I could get you on stage two with your ability! I cant put my finger on it, your playing reminds me of someone I've heard before! Keep up the great work!

TX,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby GaryL » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 am

Micah,
Thanks again for the nice comments. There are so many great players here and I am "slightly above below average." I love that line I first heard Chet use and I use it for so many things. How's the food? How's this dress look? It always gets a smile. I really don't play in front of folks because I freeze up solid. That's how I'm wired. I play for my family with my son and that's about it. I play best when I'm alone and not recording. Often I hear a song and think oh I wish Chet would have recorded that. So I try to apply what I've learned from Chet - it's very challenging. I'm working on a couple of tunes now and I know my wife is getting tired of hearing them evolve.
Thanks,
Gary
GaryL

Postby GaryL » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am

Here are two different versions of "Streets of Laredo" I did. One I did not finish on a sad day for me and the other I completed on another day. Chet had a teaching article in Frets on this song that I enjoyed and learned from. In the article he said to turn in your homework. So here's my homework.

http://gretschpages.com/media/songs/The_Streets_of_Laredo.mp3

Completed version: http://gretschpages.com/media/songs/Streets_of_Laredo_Revisited.mp3

Not sure how to load this under the audio section.

GaryL
GaryL

Postby rkk2786 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Boy that's great! You really should try to finish this tune up! I did notice you have posted in the audio files before, like a couple of years of go, like me, my mind tends to forget things as I get older... I'm sure your like me just forgetful. Keep up the good work!

Tx,
Micah
rkk2786

Return to Announcement and News