Paul Yandell, Second to the Best … a Sideman’s Chronicle

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Paul Yandell, Second to the Best … a Sideman’s Chronicle

Postby Larry Marchino » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:31 am

I just want to echo what others have said. Great book! I'm reading it in short increments as it fits into the day. I can certainly see why Chet and Paul hit it off so well having such similar rural/farm beginnings and little money. Many of us with somewhat similar beginnings can really identify with the early lifestyle that Chet and Paul led and then they legitimized being a "country guitar player" for us by their talent, grace, professionalism and gentlemanliness. I was first drawn to Chet (and later Paul), like most of us, by the music and then as I saw Chet on TV and in concert I came to respect him as a person and role model. I think that is why the term "Chet fan" seems so inadequate. Most of us are much more than just fans of Chet and also Paul. They are truly our heroes!

Thanks for the great book Norm!

Larry Marchino
Larry Marchino

Postby Art Sims » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:08 am

My copy arrived from Amazon yesterday and I began reading right away. Awesome, Norm, to realize how much work you put into it. I never had the chance to know Paul but reading about his perspectives as a guitarist and about projects he pursued shows how innovative and insightful he was. Delightful to read what a great friend he was to people who knew him. Glad to have this book.
Art Sims
Art Sims

Postby gmoseley » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:26 am

Having been one of Paul's closest friends for over 30 years this book is a sheer delight for me to read and enjoy. He knew so much about guitar playing and music in general he was like no other person I have ever known. What a true genius he was. His love for Chet knew no bounds and as Chet often said, "Paul can play anything I can, PLUS he can play harmony to it". Wow, what a statement coming from Chet.

This book is a lasting tribute to Paul's greatness and also a tribute to our buddy Norm, who had the tenacity to 'hang in there' until he brought project to fruition. Of course, Paul never wanted Norm to do this, , , Paul always said his life was not interesting enough, nor was he a big enough star to have a book written about him. We all knew this was not the case. Paul never wanted or took any credit for what he did in life but actually he added so much to Chet's musical sound that he deserved this honor. I used to call him "Mr. Modesty". He was one of the finest players of the 20th century and I am so happy that his story can finally be brought to the public's attention.

Not a day goes by that I don't give thanks for my relationship with this man. Those of us who knew him well are truly blessed.

Gayle
gmoseley

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:44 pm

Well said Gayle!! I only got to know Paul the last 10 years he was alive but I can imagine how much he meant to people who knew him longer like Gayle did. I want to add my appreciation to Norm for having the insight to put this all together in such a grand manner. Thanks Norm!! I am reading my copy as we speak.
Roger Pratt

Postby billmoit » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Surprise Surprise.

My book was delivered today Sunday at 3pm. Post office knocked on the door. More to follow after I read it. Just finished the first chapter after reading all that preceded it.
billmoit

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:14 pm

Norm,
I received my book from Amazon today! I must say, I'm really impressed! It's such a nice tribute to Paul. I haven't had time to read but a couple of chapters so far, but it's time to go to bed now. I hate to put it down. I did thumb through it some. It's really an honor to see my small contribution in your book too. The layout and quality is excellent also. Every Chet fan should purchase this book to read the story of the greatest guitar sideman! I'll do a full review on Amazon once I finish reading it. You did a great service to the Chet Atkins community by writing this book about our guitarist friend, Paul Yandell.
guitarchuck

Postby Norm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:31 am

Chuck S. just asked me if I was selling signed copies...

No, I'm not.

I have COPD and it is severely limiting my ability to do much of anything. I no longer drive etc.
Buying books for resale autographed is not something I can get into.

Same thing applies to the idea of sending me a bought copy and having me sign it and send it back. What is a simple thing to you folks is stressfully difficult for me to do so, please, don't be mailing me your copies. I no longer drive a car etc.

I DO have to say that I am blessed and humbled by the good responses I have read from people's reaction to my book. We are "the choir" so to speak (as in preaching to the choir) and it will be interesting to see how it fares after us chatboard people here and at gdp get done

Again, I wish I could be more positive about the signed copies but right now I'm not seeing an easy way to get it done

But thanks again...I love you all...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Dwayne Monroe » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Norm,
Received my copy of your new book "Second to the best" a couple of days ago and it is a marvelous read. I'm only half way through the book, but I find it outstanding in detail about the life of Paul Y. as well as that of Chet and others. Many insights to the life in music that a lot of us would ever have known otherwise. I was expecting just a recap of all of Paul's witty posts over the years on the Chetboard, but this goes eons past that and gives us amateurs an idea of what a professional musician's life is like day in and day out.

I will be sure to send a review to Amazon as soon as I've finished reading it and that will be soon as I can hardly put the book down.

Thanks for your untiring efforts to get this publication out. I appreciate it SO much!!

Dwayne
Dwayne Monroe

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:41 pm

Norm, my copy came today and I am a little way into it. So far I'm really enjoying it. You are my idol for getting this project done. I'm sure it was a lot of work and even a grind at times, but you saw it to the finish. Congratulations.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby albertgen » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Hey Norm! I am really enjoying the book! Very cool! Thank you! Al
albertgen

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement and News