Answer to your question

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Answer to your question

Postby John McClellan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Friends,

I noticed the thread concerning the videos on Chet and Jerry and who owns them.
Here is the scoop. Norman Lear (of TV producer fame) invested in the Nashville TV stations that produced the old Porter Wagoner shows, Pop goes the Country etc...he sold all the rights to Wllie Nelson and Frank Oakley. They in turn invested in RFD-TV. This is why you see all this footage on RFD. This is NOT gossip, I was actively working on securing the rights to this footage. I met with Mr. Oakley many years ago after Chet's passing and attempted to license nearly 20 years worth of footage on Chet, Jerry, and Merle. Bill Bay was involved in being willing to handle distribution. Sadly, as usual, the issue of money proved prohibitive.
I have seen much footage in the achives own by Willie and Mr. Oakley, that would knock everyone's socks off!
So hopefully this clarifies things for everyone.

John

PS. Stephan Grossman licensed all his footage from Mr. Oakley.
John McClellan

Re: Answer to your question

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 pm

John,
I figured that there was much more stashed away. I wonder if Mr.Oakley operates the classic country DVD website. He told me that he has the master tapes. I have ordered several of his DVDs and they are great quality.
I wonder who owns the TNN tv shows like: Nashville Now and Music City Tonight and other TNN shows?
PhilHunt

Return to Announcement and News