Thumbpicking Weekend Mt. View, AR.

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Thumbpicking Weekend Mt. View, AR.

Postby RandyBuckner » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 am

I very pleased to announce that the Thumbpicking Weekend in Mountain View, AR. is being held May 15 - 17, 2014. The new music director, Daren Dortin, has expanded the event, in the hope of renewing interest in the weekend.

What's new is that there will be intermediate-advanced workshops taught by both Thom Bresh, and Muriel Anderson. Beginning thumbpicking workshops will be taught by me. Concert performances will be given by Bresh, Muriel, Me, Moon Mullins, and Danny Dozier. I will also moderate a panel discussion on Fingerstyle/Thumbpicking guitar with Bresh, Muriel, and Moon as the panelists.

The contest is changing as well. There are now two categories - Traditional, and Open. The traditional classification is early Chet Atkins and all Merle Travis type picking. The open category is later Chet, Jerry Reed, Tommy E., Doyle Dykes, and any other modern thumb and/or finger styles of the guitar - similar to the rules in Winfield.

This year, due to time constraints, the contest will only be one round per category, and limited to 10 contestants each. It's my understanding that next year there will be two rounds per category. The judges for the contest will be Bresh, Danny Dozier, and myself.

For more information about the workshops and the contest, go to http://www.ozarkfolkcenter.com/events/?isofc=1&id=1762. You'll also find information about lodging on the website.

Hope to see you there, and tell your friends about the event. It's going to be great!

Randy Buckner
RandyBuckner

Return to Announcement and News