Chet's "stuff"

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Chet's "stuff"

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Like many, many of you fellow ChetBoarders I think about Chet quite often. Not a day goes by that I don't remember him and what he has given to all of us guitar players. We are very lucky to have such a "hero" and mentor as Chet Atkins. The older I get it seems that I acquire more and more "stuff". I don't know where it comes from, it just appears! I'll bet the same is true for all of you as well as Chet. I'm sure he acquired lots and lots of guitars, parts, pickups, tools, photos, doo-dads, what-nots, etc. I realize when someone passes away someone has to do something with everything. I've heard it said "the moment you die, all that you have now belongs to someone else'" And that is true. I'm sure family and close friends and acquaintances received some of the more treasured items from Chet's estate, as should be. But what about those little things like ink pens, screwdrivers, golf balls...what happened to them? I believe some of us fans would love and cherish an item owned by Chet. Was there an estate sale to clear the smaller less expensive items? I go to lots of sales, estate sales, garage sales, flea markets, auctions so I think I know a little about how things are handled. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not being morbid or disrespectful in any way. I'm just sayin' wouldn't it be grand to own an old wore out thumbpick that used to belong to Chet? Just wondering and thinking about our mutual hero and best guitar picker ever!! If there ever is an auction I plan to attend! Steve
Steve Sanders

Re: Chet's "stuff"

Postby Norm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:11 am

Chet had a lot of friends, some well known, some not so much, that I have no doubt Leona and the family dispersed much of the 'stuff' to.

Paul got some of it, some of the major items were no doubt listed in his will. His immediate family aren't that pressed for money I don't think.

This far after his death I would be deeply suspicious of any items described as Chet's relatively minor 'stuff' being offered for sale
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: Chet's "stuff"

Postby albertgen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Norm, yes we were pretty lucky to live in Chet's era and Jerry Reed and others. They sure made life interesting with a couple of new albums every year with a picture of a new Gretsch guitar and new sounds. I couldn't get enough of it. I miss him too, life hasn't been the same since. I don't know about all that stuff, I still have the albums he gave me which he signed to me be and an old Classical guitar I bought in California which he signed for me. Not sure if they ever sold his house or not, I heard it may have been affected by the flood a few years back. I know some guys who actually own guitars that were Chet's guitars at one time. Later, Al
albertgen

Return to Announcement and News