slim Whitman dies

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

slim Whitman dies

Postby Gary Smith » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:11 pm

I just saw a news report that Slim Whitman has passed away today.
80 something years old.
Gary Smith

Re: slim Whitman dies

Postby rhirvine » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:17 pm

The report I read said he was 90 years old. I did like some of his songs.
rhirvine

Postby David Elliott » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:49 pm

rhirvine wrote:The report I read said he was 90 years old. I did like some of his songs.

I was never quite clear on why or how Slim Whitman became the subject of derision, or the butt of jokes, as while I was not a big fan, I thought he had an "interesting" voice. I also know that John Denver mentioned on several occasions that he liked Mr. Whitman's singing.

I do recall Jethro (Burns) making jokes (or dropping inuendos) about Whitman on several occasions, and I never understood the humor behind them. Slim Whitman was definitely very sucessful in the recording and personal appearence field, and made a lot of money I'm sure! He also has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame out here, and that's nothing to sneeze about, as there are very few C&W entertainers have that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Whitman

R.I.P. Mister Whitman...

David Elliott
David Elliott

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Slim Whitman was popular back in the late 40's & 50's and his hit recording of "Indian Love Call' was a song that Chet recorded, most likely inspired by Slim's popular recording. He continued to perform and when Ted Turner Television came along on cable TV there was an ad that ran of Slim singing "Indian Love Call". It ran very often as a promotion for Slim Whitman recordings. I recall hearing Johnny Carson make a comment on the Tonight Show asking"Who the heck is Slim Whitman that is on cable TV?" Slim was a talented singer in the country music tradition of the Hank Williams era and may have done some acting in the movies. I also don't share the humor that seems to have been directed toward him, and perhaps it was just bad PR with the TV ad that caused it; otherwise he deserves his spot in the history of country music. Condolences to his family, friends, and fans.
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Return to Announcement and News