Johnny Smith - Lin Flanagan

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Johnny Smith - Lin Flanagan

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 pm

It is sad news to hear the great guitarist Johnny Smith has passed away. I received the news today in an email from Lin Flanagan, a UK guitarist and writer, who is doing Johnny Smith's biography.

Please excuse this general email. I hope you'll understand that this is going to several recipients. News travels fast in this day and age, but in case you haven't heard already, the great and much loved Johnny Smith died on Tuesday 11th June 2013 at 7:45pm, at his home in Colorado Springs. Just two weeks shy of his 91st birthday, Johnny left this world as he wanted, in his own home, and in the company of his loving family.

I was fortunate to spend some precious time with Johnny and his family just a fortnight before he died. Even though he was in poor health and we both knew what lay ahead, he remained the perfect gentleman. While I regret that he did not live long enough to see his biography published, he was able to see the manuscript which is very near to completion. He was overjoyed. None of it would have been possible without the invaluable contributions of the many of you who so kindly offered your help. Thank you. Johnny was able to leave this world knowing that his legacy will carry on, that his story will be told, and that people will know just what a difference he made.

Best wishes,
Lin
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Return to Announcement and News