Jerry Reed tribute on Tuesday May 21st.. live stream link.

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Jerry Reed tribute on Tuesday May 21st.. live stream lin

Postby DagerRande » Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 pm

I really enjoyed the first 2 hours or so of the tribute. I couldn't watch all of it but I was very impressed with how well everyone worked together. Phil, you really had a great backup group! Wasn't that Brent Mason that came to the mic without a guitar and just sang? I saw a lot of humility exhibited by the "stars" who functioned to help everyone sound so good. Phil, I was also impressed with your song choices. I'm sure that they were intentionally "obscure" so that you wouldn't be a "me too" Reed impersonator.

Eddie, I was glad to see you stepping out to do a solo and standing out as an individual. I really enjoy what you do with Phil, because you both compliment eachother so well, but you also deserve to be known for your own skills as a guitar instrumentalist.

I was really touched by watching people like Richard Smith just sitting in the background accompanying everyone. My wife watched it with me and had no idea who anyone was and didn't relate to my amazement at WHO was hanging out behind the performers!

I also wanted to mention that Buddy Greene was just here in Battle Creek in late March doing a gospel show at one of our larger area churches. I had no idea of his connection in Nashville. I wish I could have talked to him and mentioned Jerry and Chet. He only mentioned Doc Watson. He did a classical medley which included "The William Tell Overture". I enjoyed his "replacement" of Terry McMillan for Craig Dobbins' performance of "City of New Orleans".

Rande
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby DagerRande » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

I almost forgot to mention what a great job that Audie Wykle did on "Swarmin" and "the other one" where he even sang! We got together at last year's convention just as I had to leave and I'm hoping to do it again!

Rande
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby ajbremer » Wed May 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Will the show be posted on youtube or anywhere else?
ajbremer

Postby Tony Enamel » Wed May 22, 2013 4:00 pm

What a wonderful show that was! Thanks to everybody involved!

Watch the archived stream here:
http://www.livestream.com/3rdlindsley/v ... m=ui-thumb

Show starts at about 24:00.

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby craigdobbins » Wed May 22, 2013 5:11 pm

What a great show, and what a great time we had. Thanks to Richard for putting it all together. Everyone has their favorite moments, but mine was Buddy Greene doing "You Took All The Ramblin' Out Of Me." One of my favorite Reed tunes, and he just nailed it!

Rande, you should have been at the rehearsal, and backstage- no stars here, just folks who love Jerry and his music! Looking forward to next year...

Craig

P.S. I thought Eddie did a fantastic job on his tune, too.
craigdobbins

Postby DagerRande » Wed May 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Craig, you probably play more licks that I'd like to learn than anyone I know. I really admired you maintaining your composure last night during "those few times" during your performance. That degree of calmness only comes from years of performance experience. I've performed also for many years but I somehow fall apart when it is most important for me not to......lol. I'm looking forward to seeing you at CAAS in a few weeks. I'll have both my Godin Multiac and my newly outfitted '67 CG. I'd like to "trade licks" with you when it's possible.

thanks,

Rande
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby craigdobbins » Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks Rande. You better believe it! I told John Knowles "I nearly fell off the horse on "Pickie, Pickie, Pickie", but I hung on for dear life!" Richard was laughing so hard he could barely play! :) Sometimes, stuff just happens...

Look forward to seeing you and everyone else too. Sounds like you'll be toting some serious guitarage, there.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Eddie Estes » Wed May 22, 2013 8:39 pm

I had a good time. I was so nervous I almost left but glad I didn't. Thanks to Craig and Richard for getting me through Kicky.
Craig and Richard for the counting advice. It is hard to unlearn when you have played a tune wrong for years.
But they got me through it.
I have performance anxiety awful. I guess that is the new term for stage fright. I am always afraid I will forget the tune.

Everyone was nice and helpful.

Thanks for the compliments. Craig you are the man. And a good friend.
Eddie
Eddie Estes

Postby PhilHunt » Thu May 23, 2013 3:54 pm

That was a lot of fun! Thanks for the compliments guys. Things changed once we got there. Eddie and I were originally going to play together, later we thought it would sound better doing our tunes that we picked out with the band.
I have to say my favorite tunes of the night were Audies' "Swarmin/John Hardy" and Randy Kohrs "Likes of Me"....man he tore that thing up on the slide guitar.
Just hanging out with guys during rehearsal and back stage was fun enough. It was great to see Craig, Richard and Special thanks to Brent for adding a vocal harmony to one of my tunes!
PhilHunt

Postby awykle » Thu May 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks Rande and Phil for the kind words! To echo Phil and many others, what a great night it was! Jerry's 'spirit' was certainly there in more ways than one! Rande, I'm looking forward to CAAS too and we'll get together for certain. We can't thank Richard enough for putting this tribute together!
awykle

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement and News