You Gotta Hear This Guy!!

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

You Gotta Hear This Guy!!

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu May 16, 2013 10:14 am

Hey Fellow Chetboarders! I reckon all of us on here are looking and listening for that "special" sound or tone and trying to sound like Chet, Paul, and many others. Or just having our own sound. I suspect we all have listened to countless pickers over many years with the intention of begging, borrowing, or stealing some licks. I'm sure most of us share this in common. Every once in a while there comes along someone with a unique playing ability, tone, or dynamic that is just "different". Now, I have mentioned it before and it bears repeating again, there is one particular guitar player that has just something special going on in his playing. I can't really put my finger(s) on it, but his playing is very "Chet-ish" to say the least. I have listened to a LOT of guitar music over the last 45 years or so and I believe I can recognize musical artistry a cut-above most others. I am talking about a picker from South Carolina named BOB DENNIS! You might not have heard of him, especially if you are fairly new to the ChetBoard. I know there will never be another Chet or Paul, but I gotta tell ya, Bob is ONE GREAT GUITAR PLAYER!!!! You really need to give him a listen. Remember how fired up you got the first time you heard Chet play "Mr. Sandman" or "Poor People of Paris"? Well, that's exactly the feeling I believe you will have when you hear Bob play. Besides being a killer guitarist, he plays many other instruments and is a MASTER in the recording studio!! He knows his stuff, and can really get the sound we all strive to emmulate on a recording. Currently he has a CD of some very nice gospel tunes listed on E-Bay. Just type in Bob Dennis guitar in the search box and it will pop up. Best money you will ever spend on any music. You can thank me later!!! You will be mad at yourself for not hearing him sooner. By the way, I am not kin to Bob, owe him any money, or getting anything in return for my endorsing him. But when someone comes along and is unique and stands out among the crowd I just think it's my guitar-pickin' duty to let other folks and pickers know. Please come back and post when you get to hear him. You are in for a real treat!!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Re: You Gotta Hear This Guy!!

Postby ajbremer » Thu May 16, 2013 12:25 pm

ajbremer

Postby LMark » Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

He's incorporated lots of my favorite Chet licks into that little tune, and from my favorite period--vintage Chet! It's really enjoyable to listen to. Thanks for the link. LMark
LMark

Postby guitarchuck » Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Not only is Bob an outstanding guitarist, he's also a very fine gentleman and a very humble man. I met him at CAAS several years back and I've talked with him on the phone a few times. He's a really nice guy and he loves to talk about guitars. He has several CD's out and a couple of LP's. If you like high quality fingerstyle guitar music, search for Bob Dennis' music. Especially if you like gospel guitar. A friend of mine called him recently and found out that Bob is currently working on a new project....I can't wait to hear it!
guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Thu May 16, 2013 1:53 pm

By the way, Craig Dobbins covered at least one of Bob Dennis' arrangements in one of the Acoustic Guitar Workshop quarterlys:

Vol 16 No 3
There's Been a Wonderful Change (arr. Bob Dennis) . . . featuring the original recording by Bob Dennis

Also, Roger Hardin lists Bob as one of his influences. Here's a list of Bob's recordings to search for:

LP: The Gospel Guitar of Bob Dennis
LP: Down Home Guitar
CD: Heads Up!
CD: Autumn's Gold

The LP's are hard to find, but you should still be able to get the CD's. Bob may still have some CD's available.
guitarchuck

Postby Norm » Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Definitely one of the better Chetguys out there.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 pm

I wonder if AGW volume 16 no. 3 is still available. I have the recording but it sure would be nice to take a look at the tab. One of my favorite tunes by Bob!! Like dear ol' Lawrence Welk used to say..."Thank'a you boys'a...that really set'a my toes to'a tappin'"!!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby guitarchuck » Thu May 16, 2013 4:41 pm

http://craigdobbins.com/AGW%20back%20issues.html

It looks like it's still available Steve!

p.s. I just finished listening to 45 songs that Bob recorded. I converted them to mp3's and put them on my phone.
guitarchuck

Postby Steve Sanders » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks Chuck for the post and link. Where did you hear 45 of Bob's tunes? I only have his 2 CD's. I've been looking around for more but haven't found them yet. Apparently you have hit pay-dirt!! I would appreciate any info!! Thanks again, Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby rhirvine » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 pm

I just talked to him by telephone (the number on the video of "Hey Brother". What a great down to earth guy. I am going to get two albums from him including the one "Hey Brother" is on. We talked for over 10 minutes and I'm only a "Chet" hobbyist. He lives in Eastern South Carolina but he spent time in my neck of the woods in the military, in Chatsworth, California. One of his daughters put the YouTube listing of "Hey Brother". He is going to try to get her to put up a few more. Thanks Chet guys for putting him up on the Chet Board.
rhirvine

Next

Return to Announcement and News