Blog: John Knowles Discusses "Chet Atkins Note-for-Note."

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Blog: John Knowles Discusses "Chet Atkins Note-for-Note."

Postby RandyBuckner » Sun May 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi everybody! I recently had the honor of talking to John Knowles, for my blog, about "Chet Atkins Note-for-Note." He talked about working with Chet, and what he learned during the process of writing the book. My blog address is: www.bucknerguitar.wordpress.com. Thanks for looking!

Randy Buckner
RandyBuckner

Re: Blog: John Knowles Discusses "Chet Atkins Note-for-Note.

Postby Norm » Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 am

Good stuff!

Take the time to look at all three parts...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby ajbremer » Mon May 13, 2013 7:54 am

That was very informative, thank you Randy.
ajbremer

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks for the link to your blog, Randy. I really enjoyed reading it. It had a lot of interesting info. I am going to check out some of the other subjects you've discussed. I'm looking forward to them.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby ajbremer » Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm

I got to thinking about Chet's question: "What are you working on?"

That's what we always need to be doing, those of us who love and concentrate on finger style tunes (Chet tunes).

Chet is quoted as saying:

"You leave the guitar alone for three days and it doesn't know you when you pick it up. It's just a constant battle getting acquainted with it and staying acquainted."

Everyone has there own method and level of playing. It's hard to believe that Chet himself would have any problems with the guitar after leaving it alone for three days but hey, that's what he said.

Personally I know that I'll never get far with learning a Chet tune to the point of playing it clean if I'm not working on it. If a day goes by where I didn't pick up the guitar and work on whatever tune I'm working on, that's one more day of not being able to play that tune. Sounds silly but that's just me. Many players here are gifted and great, y'all can play tons of tunes by memory but that's not me, I definitely have got to do my homework.

I've chosen to pick out one tune a month and try to learn them and clean them up everyday. Last month for me was, "A Man and a Woman", this month it's "Music To Watch Girls By". These tunes are tough for me and I'm trying every trick in the book (and not in the book) to get them right. Another rule I've tried to stick to is: Morning, Noon, and Night. I try to play every day at least morning, noon, and night.

So everyday I'll keep plucking away while I hear Chet's voice say..."What are you working on?".

Thanks again for the post Randy
ajbremer

Postby DWolfram » Mon May 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Great stuff Randy. I especially like what John said about Chet's music being more difficult to play then it sounded. I am always looking for ways to describe Chet's music and I will include those words.

Note-for-Note brings back many memories. When it first came out there was not a whole lot of Chet songbooks in tab. I was so excited about the book until I opened it up and saw it was in standard notation. I don't remember how long I had it(years) before I got so desperate for Chet music I learned how to transcribe standard notation to tab. Not so easy for a non music person to understand things like the meaning of the flats and sharps in the key signature,etc.

The first song I transcribed was Man and a Woman and it about ended my quest. You see the book erroneously started the song somewhere other than the beginning. It was frustrating until I figured out what was going on and then cut and pasted(literally) the parts in their proper order and completed the transcribing.

David
DWolfram

Postby keener » Mon May 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Randy, that was great! Super!
Thanks for doing that.

Bruce
keener

Postby craigdobbins » Mon May 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Slightly off topic...

At first I thought the title was "Big John Knowles Discusses..." ;)

I guess it's time to get my trifocals adjusted.

Craig

P.S. Great job, Randy. John showed us all the way. (Tommy Flint, too.)
craigdobbins

Postby RandyBuckner » Mon May 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for your kind words, everybody! In a few days I'll post my review of the book, which will have more quotes from John. Thanks again. Randy
RandyBuckner

Postby John Knowles » Tue May 14, 2013 12:37 am

Big Thanks to Randy for having the idea to write about "Chet Atkins: Note-For-Note." DWolfram, I think that was Charade that had the measures out of order. The publisher made that mistake and didn't send me a proof. A similar thing happened when someone at Mel Bay reversed a negative on one page of Blue Finger in "Jerry Reed: Heavy Neckin'". Big John.
John Knowles

Next

Return to Announcement and News