Blog: John Knowles Discusses "Chet Atkins Note-for-Note."

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Blog: John Knowles Discusses "Chet Atkins Note-for-Note.

Postby rhudson » Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 pm

I finally found the time to read all of the blog entries. So very interesting and respectful. Your writing is very good, Randy, and to be able to glean from the teachings of one of the greatest guitar teachers, John Knowles, is most rewarding. My thanks to you both.
rhudson

Postby DWolfram » Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 pm

DWolfram, I think that was Charade that had the measures out of order.

John, you are correct. I was trying to remember from memory and you know how that goes. I got off my butt and found my old transcription and it all came back to me. Ha! I already told you this but thanks for writing those arrangements and making Note for Note for us Chet fans.

David
DWolfram

Postby PhilHunt » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 am

I remember when I first got "Note For Note" book at a music store. I raced home only to find it in standard notation. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't tablature. I still haven't worked on any of those tunes. I just liked looking at the pictures. Is it still in print? It would be cool to have a follow up book...........any thoughts on that John?
PhilHunt

Postby RandyBuckner » Thu May 16, 2013 8:43 am

Phil - My follow up to John's interview, is my review and thoughts about the book. In it, John says there are no plans to republish the book - he doesn't know who owns the rights.

This post is on my blog, along with the interview. It tells how John learned - from Chet - artificial harmonics over the phone, and how "Charade" was switched during printing.

Thanks for reading the interview!

Randy
RandyBuckner

Postby PhilHunt » Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 am

I'm glad that now I have all the tablature to "Goes to The Movies" LP as well as practically every Chet LP. Learning a new Chet tune from tablature is alot of fun. It's especially neat if you have played a tune for years and then follow the tab and realize you have played it wrong the whole time. Case in point: For years I was playing "Old Double Shuffle" in standard tuning, later I realized it is played in open G capoed on the 2nd fret I believe.
If it hadn't been for the tablature I have, I never would have learned the correct way to play "Georgy Girl" and "I Feel Pretty".
PhilHunt

Postby RandyBuckner » Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 am

What I like about tab, is that it shows exactly where to play a song on the fretboard. I like music notation because it shows the relationship between notes and scales/chords. They're both very useful tools for learning the guitar.

Randy
RandyBuckner

Previous

Return to Announcement and News