Nursing home gig

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Nursing home gig

Postby Tom Workman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi, everyone...
"Announcement and News" seemed to be the most appropriate place to post this. A wonderful elderly lady who is a member of my church developed parkinson's disease a few years back and since her husband is deceased, she was unable to live on her own and so moved to a local nursing home/assisted living facility. She really likes guitar music and has been wanting me to come play for her and so a few weeks ago I set it up with the activities director there. Well, today was the day and I played in their dining hall this afternoon so other residents could attend as well. It was indeed a little different than playing in church or at a typical solo venue. Some of these poor souls are in such terrible shape, some physically, some mentally and it made me stop and count my blessings. Anyway, they seemed to enjoy themselves and I was asked back by the activities director and I will certainly accommodate her in the future. I feel so blessed by the good Lord for my ability to play the guitar, something I am so passionate about and this is a great way to give back as I was told the residents there just love and respond to music very well and they have people performing there just about every day. Just to see the enjoyment my fellow church member experienced from this certainly made it all worthwhile.
All that being said, I would encourage any of you that are able, to give this a try as I found it to be a very rewarding experience. Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Nursing home gig

Postby ajbremer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks for that post Tom.

I've done that before, played at group and nursing homes and I know how much they enjoy it.

Did ya play Chet tunes there?
ajbremer

Postby Tom Workman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Chet tunes?... you betcha'! -Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Roger Hardin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for sharing this Tom. I have played a few nursing homes gigs myself. I need to do this more often.
Roger Hardin

Return to Announcement and News