Somebody is making chamfered Bigsby string bars

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Somebody is making chamfered Bigsby string bars

Postby George Beasley » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Norm,

You know it, and I know it.....but we also both know as soon as Bigsby starts doing that, people are going to start complaining that either: A, that the units don't sound the same because the loss of mass in the string bar due to drilling has effected sustain, tone, mojo, etc..., or B, The units dont stay in tune as well, because the string has to make a sharper turn coming out of the drilled holes.

You just have to accept that type of thinking. It drives the vintage market! Everything old was perfect, and everything new is somehow lacking magic.

As far as the "Suits" making that decision, I would suppose that until a majority of their customers demand it, they wont change. I would also imagine that there would be an increased cost in doing that, as they would have to drill each bar three times for each hole: one for the string to pass, and counter sinking each hole on each side....as opposed to drilling one hole, and pressing in the pins.

Third party outfits can probably do this better, as they can charge enough to make it worth their while, whereas Bigsby would be hard pressed to put any kind of price increase on their stock unit.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Norm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 pm

True enough, I guess, but you'd think Bigsby costs would go down since they would no longer need the labor and materials/machinery to put in the pins like they do nowadays. Heck they could go pinless and charge five bucks more an no one would care.

Mine has a pinless string bar Paul gave me so I'm happy and I reccomend going pinless to everyone.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby william wallace » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks for the post Norm....I to share everyone's frustration with the current string set-up. I will order one for my Gibson CG pending George Beasley's review post.

Thanks... Bill
Also Norm, how is the Project coming along? I do hope it's going o.k.
william wallace

Postby Norm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:56 pm

I've sent the perequisite Proposal and cover letter to Hal Leonard publishers. Waiting for a response. They're my first choice for a publisher
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby william wallace » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks Norm....Good Luck

Bill
william wallace

Previous

Return to Announcement and News